You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-05 00:50:15

mgushee
Website

Missing libGL.la

I've been trying to build Rosegarden (a music composition environment). I thought I had all the necessary support packages installed, but I'm now getting the following error:

libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libGL.la'

Hmm ... well I have OpenGL libraries--both xfree86 and mesa are installed, and xfree86 provides /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2, but there is no *.la version. Is there an Arch package that provides the missing library, or am I going to have to compile something myself?

(I'm not sure what OpenGL is used for in Rosegarden, and I'd guess it's not absolutely essential, but the configure script doesn't appear to have anything like a --without-opengl option, so it might take some non-trivial hacking to try to build without it).

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#2 2004-12-05 01:50:10

dp
Website

Re: Missing libGL.la

from your report, i guess, that your system is not really updated ....

... opengl is used by kde libs (that are used in rosegarden) and therefore libGL.la is asked (because the maintainer of kde has it on it's system)

libGL.la is now part of x.org pkg (that replaces xfree86)

search in the forums for libGL.la and you will find the file i posted that you can take

rosegarden-devel is in the unstable repository (when version 4.1.0.0 will come out, i will reconsider moving it to extra)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2004-12-05 04:27:27

mgushee
Website

dp wrote:

Depends what you consider up-to-date, I guess. I run 'pacman -Syu' at least once a week ...

dp wrote:

... opengl is used by kde libs (that are used in rosegarden) and therefore libGL.la is asked (because the maintainer of kde has it on it's system)

But it's a build dependency, not a runtime dependency, right? I have kdelibs-3.3.1-4 installed.

dp wrote:

So apparently the solution is to install x.org. What bothers me about that is that I have no idea how much work is involved in making the transition from xfree86. When I first installed Arch Linux 3 or 4 months ago, I visited the X.org Web site in hopes of finding a FAQ, a list of supported devices, perhaps a configuration HOWTO ... at that time I couldn't find any documentation at all. Now I see that they have some, but you have to dig through a directory tree to get it. The apparent lack of interest in making information accessible to users doesn't make me eager to take the plunge.

But anyway, maybe somebody here can help with these questions:

* Is it easy to switch from XFree86 to X.org (considering that I've been using Linux for 7 years, have no problem with command lines or text editors, etc.)?

* Where can I find basic documentation on how to configure X.org?

* Would it be hard to provide libGL.la in xfree86? I recognize that xfree86 is now considered           a legacy product, but I have the feeling (admittedly uninformed and perhaps totally wrong) that for someone who is already building an XFree86 package, it would be trivial to add that one library. I'm sure there are many people who, for various reasons, are not prepared to switch to X.org just yet--why not make their lives a bit easier, if it can be done with little effort?

Anyway, thanks for the info so far.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#4 2004-12-05 05:01:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

mgushee wrote:

So apparently the solution is to install x.org. What bothers me about that is that I have no idea how much work is involved in making the transition from xfree86.

It seems like something that should be hellish to do, but its actually basically just a drop-in replacement for xfree86. The only thing you have to do is rename XF86Config-4 to xorg.conf (actually, xorg will look in XF86Config if it can't find xorg.conf...).

Dusty

#5 2004-12-05 14:54:15

xerxes2
Website

mgushee wrote:

So apparently the solution is to install x.org. What bothers me about that is that I have no idea how much work is involved in making the transition from xfree86.

uninstall xfree

# pacman -Rd xfree86

install xorg

# pacman -Sf xorg

change keyboard driver to "kbd" or run "xorgconfig"

good luck

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2004-12-05 15:04:56

dp
Website

mgushee wrote:
dp wrote:

Depends what you consider up-to-date, I guess. I run 'pacman -Syu' at least once a week ...

my indication factor was xfree86, that really should be replaced

mgushee wrote:
dp wrote:

But it's a build dependency, not a runtime dependency, right? I have kdelibs-3.3.1-4 installed.

yes, it's building dependency

mgushee wrote:
dp wrote:

So apparently the solution is to install x.org. What bothers me about that is that I have no idea how much work is involved in making the transition from xfree86. When I first installed Arch Linux 3 or 4 months ago, I visited the X.org Web site in hopes of finding a FAQ, a list of supported devices, perhaps a configuration HOWTO ... at that time I couldn't find any documentation at all. Now I see that they have some, but you have to dig through a directory tree to get it. The apparent lack of interest in making information accessible to users doesn't make me eager to take the plunge.

But anyway, maybe somebody here can help with these questions:

* Is it easy to switch from XFree86 to X.org (considering that I've been using Linux for 7 years, have no problem with command lines or text editors, etc.)?

very easy

mgushee wrote:

* Where can I find basic documentation on how to configure X.org?

it's 99.9% the same as xfree86 ... till now only one difference: the keyboard driver is NOT called "Keyboard" but "keyboard" (no big first letter any more)

mgushee wrote:

* Would it be hard to provide libGL.la in xfree86? I recognize that xfree86 is now considered           a legacy product, but I have the feeling (admittedly uninformed and perhaps totally wrong) that for someone who is already building an XFree86 package, it would be trivial to add that one library. I'm sure there are many people who, for various reasons, are not prepared to switch to X.org just yet--why not make their lives a bit easier, if it can be done with little effort?

the file you can find here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … t=libgl+la

put it under /usr/lib/libGL.la ... but keep in mind, that xorg comes with it and xfree86 is not longer maintained (that's why it is missing the libGL.la file)

good luck

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#7 2004-12-05 19:22:09

Stinky

nvidia drivers also provide this file.  I am forced to use an older version of Xorg on my system because the newer version is very buggy for me and I haven't had time to figure out what's going on.  It's not the package, it's my hardware configuration I think.  I guess the older version I use doesn't inclued this file.  Any way, long story short, I was trying to compile Quanta+ and it complained about not having that file.  I downloaded the Nvidia installer and ran it.  No need to use the modules it created since in that box doesn''t have an Nvidia card.  But then the file was there and Quanta compiled fine.  Any way, just a suggestion in case you don't want to try switching to Xorg right now.  Although, the switch is VERY easy.

#8 2004-12-07 00:53:31

mgushee
Website

Just a quick follow-up:

So, I went ahead and installed xorg. It was indeed easy. I did need to redo the configuration ... tried xorgcfg and found it pretty useless, but that's okay, because I've done X configuration from the command line many times.

Thanks to all for the help!

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA

#9 2004-12-16 22:51:28

Cotton

mgushee wrote:

So, I went ahead and installed xorg. It was indeed easy. I did need to redo the configuration ... tried xorgcfg and found it pretty useless, but that's okay, because I've done X configuration from the command line many times.

xorgcfg -textmode    comes in pretty handy...

Board footer