You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-05 05:00:44

nehsa

Finishing touches with Samba

Hi, how do I get it so I can mount with a normal user?  When I try I get:  mount: only root can do that

Also, when I mount as root, it's only read access, how do I enable write access?  The account i'm logging in should have full control.

Finally.. how do I get the samba browser to work in XFCE4.  It sees the network, but then doesn't show any computers?  I assume this is also because my user doesn't have access to mount?

Finally II:  Whats a good way to setup permanant mounts?  I best I can see is to add the lines to fstab but I don't see anywhere to put in a password... as it is now, it'll actually stop the boot process to ask for passwords.

hehe Finally III:  Anyone have any ideas how to go about getting networked printers to work?  I've only ever installed printers connected to the linux computer (which was hard).  Kinda scared to try and get networked printers (and a scanner) working.

Thanks!

#2 2004-12-08 16:25:19

FUBAR
Website

Re: Finishing touches with Samba

nehsa wrote:

Hi, how do I get it so I can mount with a normal user?  When I try I get:  mount: only root can do that

Open /etc/fstab and check the line about your Samba-mount. In options you should add "user". Here's a line of my /etc/fstab allowing normal users to mount a disc in my DVD-RW:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /dvdrw           iso9660         user,noauto,ro 0 0
nehsa wrote:

Also, when I mount as root, it's only read access, how do I enable write access?  The account i'm logging in should have full control.

Check your smb.conf file. I've got Samba-server running with different shares and different access rights per share.

[shared]
        allow hosts = 10.0.1.
        valid users = @smbuser
        comment = Shared read-only files
        write list = fubar
        read list = *,@smbuser
        invalid users = @*
        path = /secured/shared

This way, only my user (fubar) has write-rights and the other users have read-only rights. This smb.conf file is used for Samba v2.2.8a on FreeBSD tho.

nehsa wrote:

Finally.. how do I get the samba browser to work in XFCE4.  It sees the network, but then doesn't show any computers?  I assume this is also because my user doesn't have access to mount?

I assume you're talking about XFFM, XFCE's filemanager? Editing your /etc/fstab will probably fix this.

nehsa wrote:

Finally II:  Whats a good way to setup permanant mounts?  I best I can see is to add the lines to fstab but I don't see anywhere to put in a password... as it is now, it'll actually stop the boot process to ask for passwords.

Permamounts are done in /etc/fstab. It's possible to pass the username and password for networkshares in there aswell:

//servername/sharename /mountdirectory smbfs username=userename,password=password 0 0
nehsa wrote:

hehe Finally III:  Anyone have any ideas how to go about getting networked printers to work?  I've only ever installed printers connected to the linux computer (which was hard).  Kinda scared to try and get networked printers (and a scanner) working.

I have never done that before. Installing directly connected printers wasn't too hard tho, I followed Gentoo's guide to printing.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer