You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-12 20:24:42

aurelius

KDE display problem - HUGE fonts

Hi,

I just made a fresh install of Arch in my new PC. I have the GPU NVIDIA 9400GT, so when I tried to install nvidia-96xx drivers, it didn't let me to, because of conflict with xorg-server. Anyways, I just installed the plain nvidia drivers. Now, after running xorg-config and restarting X-server, the resolution of the screen is as it should be(maximum for my monitor), however the fonts are HUUUUUGE. I attach two pics, just to get a grip on how huge they are. I commented the Load dri2 as the installation guide said, and I can't understand what is the problem. I set the minimum possible fonts in the display settings, yet the fonts are still huge.

Anyways, I think the problem is with the system configuration only, for two reasons. First all letters are the same as huge, so there is consistency. Second, I installed opera and the fonts here are normal. Because opera (I think) is a stand-alone program, it has its own settings, whereas firefox for example still has huge fonts. The same holds for the login screen, in which the fonts are even more huge, that huge that even the "bullets" for the password don't fit in the text box. I should also add, that the anti-aliasing seems to work perfect, because even though the letters are huge, they are very smooth.

So, do you have any idea how to fix that plz? It's very annoying.

http://img193.imageshack.us/i/snapshot5f.png
http://img402.imageshack.us/i/snapshot3w.png
http://img257.imageshack.us/i/snapshot4b.png

Last edited by aurelius (2009-11-12 20:26:40)

#2 2009-11-12 20:32:54

funkyou
Website

Re: KDE display problem - HUGE fonts

Try to play with the DPI settings in systemsettings (its somewhere in appearance -> fonts, try 96 for a start). Dont forget to restart after changing.

Alternatively you can add the DisplaySize setting to your xorg.conf (and i believe you can force the DPI with nvidia there too), but i dont remember exactly how that works.

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#3 2009-11-12 20:46:54

aurelius

It worked almost perfectly. Now everything is ok, excpet for the login screen. It's not that important, but still, do you have any more ideas?

#4 2009-11-12 21:58:35

funkyou
Website

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#5 2009-11-12 23:55:02

Gen2ly
Website

Altering the DPI may fix your font size but it may cause problems of your fonts scaling properly.  It's usually best to set the correct DPI (dots per inch) and then set the font sizes best for you in your system-preferences.  You can look at how to detect and set (if necessary) here - oop, or on the wiki page above (which is actually a little better).

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

Board footer