You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-13 18:11:20

DaNiMoTh

ArchLinux PPC, call for help

Hello to all,

If you have used ArchLinuxPPC, you have seen for sure that it has been discontinued for a while ( for many reason ). Now we're up again, and ask if there are someone that want to give an hand.

The main roles needed are:

- Package maintainers ( Req: good knowledge of pacman and makepkg )
- Package tester ( Req: a partition with archlinuxppc installed )

Let us know there or at jjdanimoth A_T gmail D_O_T com

Bye !

#2 2009-11-13 23:54:48

Gen2ly
Website

Re: ArchLinux PPC, call for help

DaNiMoTh, are you the maintainer/administrator of ArchLinuxPPC?  If you don't mind I have a couple questions.

How are the PPC packages handled?  Do you use a tool like pacbuilder and create them all?  How do you currently build and testfix your packages?  I ask because I don't think it would be necessary to have a package maintainer for every package.  A script that would build all packages and report an failures and then have those failures posted somewhere would be what I think would be most efficient.

Is it possible to have an open system to be able to edit pkgbuilds(...) for something like this?  I ask because I think finding a good number of full-time contributers is going to be difficult.  Possible something like a git tree or even using the AUR web-app (not sure how much time that last will take to set up).

A couple people that I know may be interested.  We talked a little bit before about this here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=74324

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-11-13 23:58:22)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#3 2009-11-14 01:35:27

DaNiMoTh

Gen2ly wrote:

How are the PPC packages handled?  Do you use a tool like pacbuilder and create them all?  How do you currently build and testfix your packages?  I ask because I don't think it would be necessary to have a package maintainer for every package.  A script that would build all packages and report an failures and then have those failures posted somewhere would be what I think would be most efficient.

The process is easy, just remain in sync with i686/x86_64, adapt pkgbuild for ppc architecture, then run makepkg. Isn't quite impossible to make this automatic, because for some packages the only modification needed are just add ppc to arch=(), or some configure option; for others packages, there is much todo (patch the sources to don't use altivec instruction, etc.. ). And there are some core parts, like gcc toolchain, pacman, glib etc that need more of just a script that download and compile automatically. Make a distro isn't so easy smile

For now, I hope that there will be 2-3 guys that keep in sync xorg / kde / {gnome,xfce,e17} and some others, 1 or 2 that will works on core packages. Absolutely no one package maintainer for every package (it's quite impossible).

Is it possible to have an open system to be able to edit pkgbuilds(...) for something like this?  I ask because I think finding a good number of full-time contributers is going to be difficult.  Possible something like a git tree or even using the AUR web-app (not sure how much time that last will take to set up).

This is a good idea; I spent most of my time editing pkgbuild instead of compiling.
Another things it's to port to archlinuxppc some web-based statistics, to use our time on most used packages, and our "free" time on the less used.

#4 2009-11-15 00:22:56

mianka

Well, I have a G4/12inch Ibook with AL on it.
I have never done this before, but if I can be of any use ,have a try.

KDE DE.

Also have a G5 Imac with Debian on it.

Last edited by mianka (2010-02-25 17:44:17)

#5 2010-02-25 15:55:15

n1md4

DaNiMoTh, I'd like to help maintain the PPC package repositories.  Are you still after volunteers?

#6 2010-02-25 17:09:15

rott_at

We, ArchMobile, are working on such a Script. It should compare our/your Repo with the ABS Tree from ArchLinux, adopt changes, and try to compile. Mail the maintainer the result of this try, and he has to check everything.

I actually don't work on this, but you could join #arch-arm on FreeNode, so we can work together on this, since we need quite the same.
Just a offer to you guys from archlinux ppc, I just thought it sounds like quite the same as we need.

Greetings naeg

#7 2010-02-26 02:03:53

Gen2ly
Website

n1md4, rott_at, you'd probably be best trying to reach DaNiMoTh is on the archlinuxppc-user@googlegroups.com mailing list where most of the discussion takes place.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#8 2010-02-26 10:02:35

DaNiMoTh

Luckly, I've subscribed to this post smile

At this time, we're a little disappointed about some new developers, that get the account on the server, make 2-3 packages and then disappear.

So, we now want a little more "reference" smile

@ n1md4: Send me a private e-mail, I'll see what I could do.

@ rott_at: I've done a little bash script that changes some minor things (adds a x86 Mantainer and ppc Maintainer, adds 'ppc' to arch array and nothing more) that helps me a little (I saved some time) but this isn't now our main goal, because we have some packages that differ from x86 (like, we have xorg-headers instead of every single xorg header - like *proto - ) and there is every time a "manual diff" from ABS x86 and our tree.

As Gen2ly said, archlinuxppc-user@googlegroups.com are the best place to continue our talks smile

Many thanks for the interest anyway big_smile

Board footer