You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 01:11:26

Gigadoc 2
Website

TES 4: Oblivion No Music

Hi,
I don't know if this is the right category to ask, but i didn't find a wine-related category.

My Problem: I installed the Game Oblivion with wine, installed also DirectX9 with winetricks (just the dll), and modified some graphics-related registry settings. Now everything works fine, and i have excellent graphics quality; but i have no Background-Music. Sound effects work (at least when setting wine sound output to OSS), but not the Background Music.
I think the main problem is, that the Background-Music is saved as an MP3, but i even tried installing the original Frauenhofer MP3-Codec, mpeg123 (for Linux, because i heard wine uses this), and i also tried to copy and activate the winemp3-librarys from an older wine-package (1.1.29).

I don't know what to do, and i think this problem isn't related to the game, because all other sounds (also speech) works. It would be very nice to play Oblivion under Linux, because the few games I play are the last thing keeping my windows-partition on my harddrive.

#2 2009-11-14 15:44:44

RobbeR49

Re: TES 4: Oblivion No Music

Sorry I don't have an anwser for the music problem, but honestly I think you're pretty lucky if everything else is working as well as you say. I remember trying to get Oblivion working in wine, it's been a while now, but I didn't have much luck at the time.

Might be time to revisit and try again - What exactly did you have to change/configure graphics wise to get it to work smoothly? Do you have an ATI or Nvidia card?

#3 2009-11-14 16:57:53

Gigadoc 2
Website

I have an Nvidia Card (256MB). I heard it's still hard to getting DirectX run with an ATI sad

I followed the following Guide:

1.Install the last version of wine (use the repos you find in the official site www.winehq.org)
2.Download Winetricks (from console type "wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks")
3.IInstall with Winetricks the DirectX9 (from console go in the directory where you have downloaded winetricks and then type "sh winetricks directx9")
4.run winecfg and set:

- OS version: Windows XP
- In 3D settings Vertex Shader Support: Hardware and set Allow Pixel Shader
- In Audio settings set alsa drivers; Hardware acceleration full; sample rate 44100; bit per sample 16;
unset driver emulation
on console run "wine regedit" and then:
- in HKEY_CURRENT_USER-Software-Wine create, if it's doesn't already exists, a new key named Direct3D
- in Direct3D create the following strings with teh following values:
string: DirectDrawRenderer value: opengl
string: Nonpower2Mode value: repack
string: OffscreenRenderingMode value: fbo
string: RenderTargetLockMode value: auto
string: UseGLSL value: readtex
string: VideoMemorySize value: (memory size of your graphic card)

But I did not follow this guide 100%:

- I installed only the .dll with winetricks, not the whole DirectX
- I set OSS-Drivers, not ALSA (and normally i use alsa, but otherwise the sound didn't work at all)
- I couldn't change the option "Driver Emulation" (it was not there)

Have fun wink

#4 2009-11-15 07:20:08

xd-0
Website

Seems like more people have the same trouble according to winehq. One solution that worked (at least for one person) was to downgrade wine to 1.1.28.

#5 2009-11-15 17:54:29

Gigadoc 2
Website

Hm, but how to downgrade wine with Arch (without being asked to upgrade every time you run pacman -Syu)?

#6 2009-11-15 18:06:53

seiichiro0185
Website

thats what IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf is for

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#7 2009-11-15 20:50:44

xd-0
Website

Previous post solves the problem holding the upgrade. As for the downgrade you should take a look at ABS, It's documented in the wiki. To get you started and give you a shortcut:

1. run "sudo abs" to build the abs tree.
2. copy the "wine" folder to a directory of your liking (for example  /var/abs/local or  ~/pkgbuilds). Don't forget to give yourself rwx permission to the folder.
3. modify the PKGBUILD so it builds your version of Wine.
4. run "makepkg -g" to generate a new md5sum and replace the one in the PKGBUILD.
5. Run "makepg -csi" to build Wine.

You cannot get it any shorter or simpler than this wink. If you should run into any problem, read the wiki one more time smile.

#8 2009-11-16 05:43:23

seiichiro0185
Website

and if you don't want to build it from source yourself you can use the great Arch Rollback Machine

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#9 2009-11-16 19:22:00

Gigadoc 2
Website

It's not that bad to play without sound, and with the new wine release, at least alsa works with oblivion again.
But maybe I try this on another installation.

Board footer