You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 05:49:26

fplolz

Realtime woes..getting random system freezes

hello everyone:)

i have recently got the kernel26-rt-ice  from aur

compile with rt enabled and installed the nvidia drivers smile

however , i will get random system freeze .( my mouse become unresponsive , followed by the entire system)
I have installed and ran rtirq as a daemon for thread tunning ...howver , these freezes still occur

upon reboot , ( using the magic sysrq key ) i checked the logs and no noticable errors found

the freezes occur most especially when playing 3d games like urban terror and so on..
it gets kinda irritating....

does any one know why or how  to fix this ?
can any one enlighten me?:/  ( i have already googled and searched the arch forums to no avial..)

#2 2009-11-15 20:29:39

davidlondonuk

Re: Realtime woes..getting random system freezes

I take it your after real-time sound or whatever, that's a big load on the processor and it sounds like your PC can't handle it. It's freezing because the load is too much-I could be wrong but check 'top' in a console and see what is happening as you play.

#3 2009-11-15 22:33:41

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

fplolz, I get the same thing on my system, and I'm not sure where its from. I do get similar from kernel26-ice randomly though. If you could try to specify a certain usage that is most likely to trigger the crash I can help get to the bottom of it. For me, its weird because games like Heroes of Newerth have NEVER triggered the crash for me before whereas I've gotten it while idly browsing the web...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-11-16 08:44:43

fplolz

wel..not to sure where it goes wrong ..nothing in the messages.log
but i did notice my cpu maxing out just before the freezing..
my mouse (USB )  and sound hangs first followed by my keyboard (PS/2) ..
I also do get the random freezes while browsing the net ..

i had a feeling that this  has something to do with the realtime prioirity of certian threads , making others unresponsive
i do get a confirmed freeze when playing urban terror though..:x

urban terror uses sdl , alsa .  xcursor and parts of the graphic card drivers and audio
i tried setting the nice level and rtpriority too...using rtirq but it still hung..

#5 2009-11-16 15:19:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Doesn't happen on stock kernel, I presume?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-11-16 16:28:57

fplolz

nope not at all... no issues with the stock kernel

the issue seems to be caused by threads that might require rt priority...while not too sure why hangs occur while surfing the web..

#7 2009-11-16 23:24:44

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Surfing the web tends to cause plenty of I/O, which could be causing delays, but shouldn't hang anything. Misbehaving plugins can also be to blame.

In any case, I'd suggest that unless this issue is very severe for you we just wait out upstream fixes. BFS patch is an alternative you may want to look at (but I do get similar behaviour there, a bit less frequently though).

#8 2009-11-17 00:49:11

fplolz

Thanks for the info smile
will try out the bfs patch

Edit : tried out the bfs patch on kernel 26 -ice  from the aur ..no hangs so far...but still no  low latency with it..

Last edited by fplolz (2009-11-19 13:48:54)

Board footer