You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-14 21:04:25

dninja
Website

X starts then locks up with nvidia drivers

I've just done a fresh install of arch 64 which boots to cli and runs fine.

I installed the xorg group and nvidia package, copied over my xorg.conf file from my arch 32 bit setup and started X. I get twm with 3 windows and a clock but the machine locks up and needs a hard reset.

I also tried installing the official nvidia driver package but that caused the same problems and also gave me errors about libGL.so being corrupt so took that off and went back to the arch package.

dbus, acpid and hal are all loaded and running.

I have two 8600GT video cards which are working fine with the same config file in both debian and recently in arch 32 bit.

The Xorg.0.log file is empty so I've not much to go on.

What can I do to debug this further?

#2 2009-11-15 01:28:26

ri

Re: X starts then locks up with nvidia drivers

i had same preoblem earlier today and im on intel drivers (64bit). worked like a charm yesterday then today when logging into X keyboard and mouse froze, with no help from any logs, althou i run without xorg.conf. tried alot of things and suddenly it worked. sorry i dont know what exactly made it work sad but thing i looked up was: .xinitrc, rc.conf (removed @ from hal,dbus etc), inittab (had som stupid autostart X that was dodgy, got me into wrong WM), my windowmanager start file, started from both /usr/bin/xinit and startx and then suddenly.. it took me over one hour thou.

#3 2009-11-15 10:05:24

dninja
Website

So basically fiddle a lot!

The reason I moved away from arch 32 bit is that when they went over to the version of xorg with evdev in it X would run for anywhere between 10 mins and a couple of hours then lock up and require a hard reset. I hoped that I'd give it long enough for evdev to become stable and not have issues but it may be that.

And before people suggest it, I have tried the disable the evdev features in xorg.conf and that didn't help. I had a roll back script that took me to the last known good version and I would test each version of xorg that came out, watch it fail, then roll back.

#4 2009-11-15 12:34:53

MadTux

I have no problems with xorg running on 64-bit (automatic configuration, evdev), but I have an ATI card. I only had trouble with KMS, which gave me hard locks.

#5 2009-11-16 09:04:42

dninja
Website

I would imagine that most people have no problems otherwise the Arch devs would be in trouble as people shouted for solutions.

Knowing my case is an exception what I'm looking for are ways to try to debug what is going on.

I know my xorg.conf file works as it is the same one I used on Arch 32 and currently use on Debian.

#6 2009-11-16 10:23:50

Berseker

running arch64, nvidia 8600M GT, 190.42, xorg latest version, testing enabled, and I've no problems with lockups of X etc. Sorry but I can suggest you only to rebuild nvidia and nvidia-utils package by yourself, and see if it helps

#7 2009-11-16 14:23:32

zyghom
Website

maybe that is the problem - rebuilt from abs brings segfault only during startup !

Zygfryd Homonto

#8 2009-11-17 07:43:38

dninja
Website

I've not tried ABS but I have tried the drivers directly from nvidia. I'll try ABS tonight.

Board footer