You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-15 06:57:47

Fwirt

Eee PC 1008HA ethernet not working/behaving strangely

Hey there, I'm having an odd problem with my new Eee 1008HA, and was hoping someone might have some insight.  I bought it last week, and have been thoroughly enjoying it, except that I have been having network issues when trying to install arch.  In fact, I couldn't get network drivers to work during install, so I had to use a core image, instead of a netinstall.  Anyways, my problem: according to lspci I have an Atheros AR8132 nic that should be using the L1c driver.  (I also noticed that Windows XP, which hasn't been having any of these problems, is also using the L1c driver)  Arch loads the atl1c module by default on bootup, and dmesg confirms that everything is running smoothly.... until I try to plug an ethernet cable in.  Suddenly, after connecting my Eee to my router, all of the ifconfig stats (rx packets, tx packets, rx bytes) shoot up to 4294967272!  In addition, if I boot into arch, which has these weird problems, Windoze won't recognize that the NIC even exists after rebooting! (I have to unplug it, wait 10 seconds, then power back on.)  The last time this happened, the keyboard also stopped working!  I thought of following the instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=2, but apparently those apply to the atl1e driver, and (a) I tried loading the stock atl1e module and it didn't work with my nic, and (b) even if I wanted to try downloading and building that source, the link is broken...  I'm completely stumped as to what to do next.  I know it's a software issue, not a hardware one, since Windoze has no problem with the nic (I even did some network gaming with a friend using a wired connection this afternoon.)  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I'd really like to use Arch (it's my primary OS on my desktop, and was on my old laptop) but I'm completely stumped...

EDIT:  It seems, after some further research that the drivers for this chipset are experimental.  Although, many people are reporting success with the above method, even though it would appear that the chipsets are not the same.  Well, I managed to get wireless working and install that way, so this isn't a big priority any more, but if anyone has any experience with this, I'd still like some input.

Last edited by Fwirt (2009-11-16 01:43:35)

#2 2009-11-16 08:49:24

gradgrind

Re: Eee PC 1008HA ethernet not working/behaving strangely

Update to the 2.6.31 kernel and it should work properly.

Board footer