You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-17 11:58:58

abcbucket

Using Nokia headphones via bluetooth

Hi,
G'day all,

After looking elsewhere in the forum, I created the .asoundrc in /home and asound.conf in /etc file as below:
pcm.btheadset {
   type bluetooth
   device 00:0D:3C:A6:CC:55
}

Below is the line in /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal cups alsa samba bluetooth fam sshd virtualbox)

The bluetooth applet (sorry I could not cut n paste the screen)
shows the Nokia BH-501 headset and three bars orange, green and blue and says connected.

From the command line:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=btheadset /data/Music/somesong.mp3
plays fine.

edit:I use alsa. Pulse is not installed.

Question is how do I get the sound when I play a song / movie in smplayer or vlc ?

regards

Last edited by abcbucket (2009-11-17 12:10:01)

hope is immortal

#2 2009-11-17 23:27:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Using Nokia headphones via bluetooth

You need to choose the btheadset device. If the app doesn't support that you may need to make it default.

Why not just use Pulseaudio? Makes it much easier.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-11-18 04:26:27

abcbucket

thnx ngoone.

Oh no particular reason for not using pulse. Just things are working fine (without bluetooth for smplayer, vlc etc) so far.
Any pointers to use pulseaudio and bluetooth headsets ?

You need to choose the btheadset device. If the app doesn't support that you may need to make it default.

In the preferences of both programs (smplayer and vlc) I could not find <btheadset>

cheers

hope is immortal

#4 2009-11-18 05:03:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

abcbucket wrote:

thnx ngoone.

Oh no particular reason for not using pulse. Just things are working fine (without bluetooth for smplayer, vlc etc) so far.
Any pointers to use pulseaudio and bluetooth headsets ?

Well, assuming your pulseaudio is working fine, the 'pointers' are just:-
1. Pair with device using bluez.
2. Move your stream to the bluetooth headset in pavucontrol (you may need to select A2DP in the Configuration if your headset supports it, not all do).

abcbucket wrote:

In the preferences of both programs (smplayer and vlc) I could not find <btheadset>

cheers

Then try setting btheadset as default in your .asoundrc. Not all programs support non-commandline (or even CLI) selection of alsa plugins.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-11-18 05:09:44

steve___

abcbucket wrote:

Hi,
G'day all,

After looking elsewhere in the forum, I created the .asoundrc in /home and asound.conf in /etc file as below:
pcm.btheadset {
   type bluetooth
   device 00:0D:3C:A6:CC:55
}

Below is the line in /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network netfs crond hal cups alsa samba bluetooth fam sshd virtualbox)

The bluetooth applet (sorry I could not cut n paste the screen)
shows the Nokia BH-501 headset and three bars orange, green and blue and says connected.

From the command line:
mplayer -ao alsa:device=btheadset /data/Music/somesong.mp3
plays fine.

edit:I use alsa. Pulse is not installed.

Question is how do I get the sound when I play a song / movie in smplayer or vlc ?

regards

try adding this to your .asoundrc file

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "btheadset"
}

#6 2009-11-19 02:49:42

abcbucket

thnx steve. will try it tonight.

hope is immortal

Board footer