You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-18 16:12:43

ssl6

nouveau issue

I decided to try nouveau on a test system the other day, after a quick failed attempt on my main desktop. I ended up getting it to work anyway with the git packages from aur on the test system. But it won't work with kms unfortunately. Either way, I really liked the results on the test system, which was an Athlon XP 2500, 512mb ram, FX5950, KDE4. the system was slow as hell with the old nv driver, i thought it was due to running KDE4 with only 512mb ram......but once nouveau was setup and working, the thing was so much faster, I couldn't believe the difference, i still don't really understand why.

But anyhow, I setup up nouveau on my main Desktop, following the same steps i did on my test system. And still can't use KMS. after checking over the Xorg logs, both system produce a wrong EDID error, or something like that, wait, here's some log output

[urmom@urmom-pc pkgbuilds]$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EDID
(EE) NOUVEAU(0): Unknown EDID version 2
(II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID vendor "SUN", prod id 1399

essentially, from what i gather about that, its trying to pull info and capabilities from the monitor, to use for setting appropriate resolution. Now I have 2 Sun monitors, both different though, one has dual inputs, so i use it as a second monitor on my main system and another one. the other is a slightly older sun monitor, hooked up to a kvm, and thats the one that doesn't work with KMS, the second one does actually. Now I'm wondering, is it possible the KVM in the loop is causing the one monitor not to be detected properly? its not really optional for me? I still haven't actually tried it without the kvm in the loop to be honest, I know that sounds dumb, but I just moved here, and when I setup my desk, I tried to zip tie every cable I could, so disconnecting something back there, is quite difficult

but what i really want to know, is if there's a way to force KMS to run a specified resolution on both screens, as a workaround. or is it just something thats either set automatically, or its not? i believe there is a bug open currently to do with the EDID or something about black screens, i was reading through some nouveau docs looking for info

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-11-18 16:15:24)

this is a signature

#2 2009-11-28 20:28:02

tavianator
Website

Re: nouveau issue

It was faster because nouveau has leaps and bounds more hardware acceleration support (even for 2D) than nv.  Plus XVideo support, and some other helpful things.

I'm not sure what you mean by KMS not working -- is it that X isn't being spread across both monitors?  If so, run the xrandr utility to try to enable the second monitor.  Run "xrandr" to see the available outputs, then something like "xrandr --output <non-working output> --left-of <working output> --auto".  If your second monitor isn't listed in the xrandr output, or its available modes are wrong or incomplete, report a bug upstream.

If you want the nouveau framebuffer console to be enabled on the other monitor, you may be able to achieve this with the "fbset" utility.

P.S.  You can use "grep EDID /var/log/Xorg.0.log" to avoid a pipe.

#3 2009-11-28 20:33:36

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2009-11-28 20:39:37

tavianator
Website

I don't think this is a crosspost - the OP seems to have two computers running nouveau and two separate problems.  The linked thread is regarding nouveau on a zen kernel, while this one is not.

Board footer