You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-19 18:50:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

Split screen clips in Kdenlive

Recently noted such was possible but methodology seemed to be less than useful.

Spent the day determining details which result in generating split screen effect.

Generated "stretched jpeg" split screen images and .flv video split screen images in .mp4 format with this procedure.

Three clips are utilized in this method.  Two of the clips are the videos to be presented on the split screen and the third acts as a go-between and in my case is a color clip.

Open kdenlive and click and drag the clips from their source files into the project window.  Select under PROJECT menu ADD COLOR CLIP and establish a color from the window that appears and click OK on the window that follows the selected color shade.

This generates a third clip in the selected color shade.

Timelines are denoted from top to bottom 0,1,2,3,4.

Click and drag the first video clip to timeline 0.

Click and drag the color clip to timeline 1.

Click and drag the remaining video clip to timeline 2.

Align the clips in all timelines, using the mouse to "stretch" the color clip to align.

Right click on timeline 0 clip.  This generates a transition bar at the beginning of the timeline .  Left click to open the transition menu and select "composite".

A red colored composite bar now appears.  "stretch" that bar across the timeline to align with the videos.

Right click on timeline 2.  Perform the transition procedures given above on this timeline. The "COMPOSITE " bar must be on lower edge of timeline 2.  (undo if in wrong place).

The key to the presentation of the split is to perform the transition from timeline 1.

Now that the transitions are formed, left click on the transition bar for timeline 1.  This will present the composite window wherein the title is "composite" and a selection with menu "auto 1 2 3 4 5".  Select 1.

While observing the video in "PROJECT MONITOR" adjust the size and location for that video using the options derived from selecting the lower left icon in the composite window (RESIZE).  This window has a pictorial (in red on my machine) showing the relative size of the video and its locale.  Experiment with the options and observe their effects until the display in the project monitor provides an acceptable size and location.

Repeat this procedure on the composite of timeline 2 to align the videos in the project monitor window.

This establishes the split screen display parameters.

The clips can then be rendered by selecting RENDER, first assigning the OUTPUT FILE with desired locale and TITLE.(mp4 for example)

There are many options for output format and resolution.

I used mpeg4 for my split screen, both for .jpegs and .flv files.

Hoping I don't leave out any important parts!

Hope you find this helpful.........

Last edited by lilsirecho (2009-11-19 19:28:50)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer