You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-20 01:48:14

expxe

before i install i would like a couplle of questions answered

first off, i am glad to be a part of this forum, i signed up and hope i can learn a couple of things about linux here

i have a couple of questions about linux in general before install

1) i have an old laptop with windows 7 currently installed, can i install archlinux on my harddrive without removing windows. i want to be able to dual boot. and how much space does the install take? the harddrive capacity is 40gb

2) how is the wireless support? i forget the exact model # of my network card, but it was a really common one, my has the centrino group of components and i recall having installed ubuntu and it required wayyyy too much work to figure out how to install the wireless driver and i ended up giving up. i need to have wireless access on linux, i hope 4 years later now there will be drivers for it

3) i need to rip dvd's to iso files occasionally, what is a good program for that? i used dvd shrink in windows

4) would i be able to transfer files over network to my windows 7 PCs?

5) would i be able to transfer files between the two OS's on my harddrive?

thx

expxe

#2 2009-11-20 02:22:38

Valande
Website

Re: before i install i would like a couplle of questions answered

1) If you don't have unused disk to create at least one new partition, you can install arch without removing windows. You can install arch in a removable disk as well, and install grub in a flashDisk or the same removable disk.... Or you can use Virtual Box to install arch within a Virtual Machine...

2) If you follow the Beginners Guide, you'll have no problem to configure it.

3) You'll be able to install one of your choice from open source recording software. K3b is an example.

4) Of course, configuring nfs and/or samba.

5) I am sure you can see Windows from Arch, to see Arch from Windows I guess there are a couple of programs as well.

Good luck wink

The quieter you become, the best you can hear hmm
LRU#493328

#3 2009-11-20 02:33:24

shak

The archwiki is extremely helpful and very detailed , so you propably won't have an issue . If you do just come back here and post your problem.

See you on the other side wink

#4 2009-11-20 03:03:27

arkham
Website

expxe wrote:

first off, i am glad to be a part of this forum, i signed up and hope i can learn a couple of things about linux here

i have a couple of questions about linux in general before install

1) i have an old laptop with windows 7 currently installed, can i install archlinux on my harddrive without removing windows. i want to be able to dual boot. and how much space does the install take? the harddrive capacity is 40gb

The ideal space for Archlinux should be around 10-15 gigabytes.

2) how is the wireless support? i forget the exact model # of my network card, but it was a really common one, my has the centrino group of components and i recall having installed ubuntu and it required wayyyy too much work to figure out how to install the wireless driver and i ended up giving up. i need to have wireless access on linux, i hope 4 years later now there will be drivers for it

Wireless support is good as the kernel support. Note that if you weren't experienced enough to make ubuntu work, it is highly probable that you won't be able to make archlinux work.

4) would i be able to transfer files over network to my windows 7 PCs?

Yes, samba is the way.

5) would i be able to transfer files between the two OS's on my harddrive?

Yes, seamlessly.

"I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems."

~ Need moar games? [arch-games] ~ [aurcheck] AUR haz updates? ~

#5 2009-11-20 04:19:06

expxe

damn it, i thought arch linux would be user friendly. i guess linux still has many years to go before it is. i guess i will go support ubuntu, might as well jump on the version of linux that has a chance of being mainstream. something i think that the programmers who write linux are purposely trying to keep linux from being the main OS in the world. lol command line, what were they thinking, like anyone would bother learning and remembering obscure commands just to use their computer *gasp* point and click baby, that's where the action is at.

#6 2009-11-20 04:34:56

jt512

expxe wrote:

damn it, i thought arch linux would be user friendly. i guess linux still has many years to go before it is. i guess i will go support ubuntu, might as well jump on the version of linux that has a chance of being mainstream. something i think that the programmers who write linux are purposely trying to keep linux from being the main OS in the world. lol command line, what were they thinking, like anyone would bother learning and remembering obscure commands just to use their computer *gasp* point and click baby, that's where the action is at.

Thanks for the revealing peek into the Ubuntu mentality.

Jay

#7 2009-11-20 04:36:20

Allan
Pacman
Website

And we will leave this here....

Closing.

Board footer