You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-20 05:22:48

raptir

Media player without too many dependencies

I'm using Arch with Xfce currently. I love Totem-xine, and I've used it in the past on Xubuntu, but now that I've come to Arch I find that it has heavy Gnome dependencies, even more than Totem itself. I also like SMPlayer and VLC, but I'd really rather not install Qt, since all my other apps are GTK. Gnome-mplayer stutters constantly on any videos I play. I'm currently using gxine, but I'm not super happy with the interface. Is there any media player with an interface similar to gnome-mplayer or Totem that's built on Xine (I've found it to have the best performance) and doesn't have heavy gnome/qt dependencies? Thanks.

#2 2009-11-20 05:30:34

chpln

Re: Media player without too many dependencies

VLC configured with --disable-qt is my preference.

#3 2009-11-20 05:55:58

raptir

Is there an easy way to do that, or would I need to get the source code and compile it myself? I'm not a complete newbie, but I'm not exactly experienced, either.

#4 2009-11-20 06:38:01

chpln

You will need to compile the source one way or the other: the I believe only binaries for Arch have Qt enabled.

Easiest way might be to use ABS.  Take a look at the ABS wiki page to get started.

Once that's set-up, follow the steps in the section "The build function, the ABS way"  (replacing slim with vlc, of course) the only difference being at step 2a., where you edit the PKGBUILD, find the line in that file reading "--enable-qt4 \" and replace it with "--disable-qt4 \" and remove 'qt' from "makedepends" and "depends" fields.

EDIT:
I've forgotten, you'll also need to change "--enable-skins2" to "--disable-skins2".

EDIT 2:
Perhaps VLC is not what you are after.  I was under the impression GTK was the default for VLC, but support appears to have been droppen entirely.  The above instructions are basically identical to that which you'd get from vlc-nogui in AUR.  I've always avoided VLC's GUI anyway, which would explain why I failed to notice this earlier...

Last edited by chpln (2009-11-20 08:18:45)

#5 2009-11-20 15:39:09

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

raptir wrote:

I'm using Arch with Xfce currently. I love Totem-xine, and I've used it in the past on Xubuntu, but now that I've come to Arch I find that it has heavy Gnome dependencies, even more than Totem itself. I also like SMPlayer and VLC, but I'd really rather not install Qt, since all my other apps are GTK. Gnome-mplayer stutters constantly on any videos I play. I'm currently using gxine, but I'm not super happy with the interface. Is there any media player with an interface similar to gnome-mplayer or Totem that's built on Xine (I've found it to have the best performance) and doesn't have heavy gnome/qt dependencies? Thanks.

gnome-mplayer should work just fine if you tell it to use the right -vo and so on.

But who needs a gui anyway to play a movie tongue  olain old mplayer is really nice.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-11-20 15:44:12

axel668

what's wrong with installing QT ? it's just a runtime of a few MB, and smplayer even blends with a GTK / Gnome environment. I can understand that you don't want full- blown Gnome or KDE dependencies, but a simple runtime lib ... you'd also install python, if a programm was built with it, right ?
I really like SMPlayer - Fast, easy to use and few dependencies.
cool

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#7 2009-11-20 15:56:51

lucke

xfmedia is a xine-based media player for xfce.

Board footer