You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-20 08:38:20

gradgrind

Larch Display Manager

Well, ghost beat me to the post with a new display manager, but as this is completely different it might be of interest to someone or other. This is pyqt based and, because I actually don't know much about logging in and x-sessions and stuff like that, probably going to eat your goldfish and cause unstoppable global warming.

Basically I was somewhat put aback by the recent improvements to gdm, so I started looking for an alternative. It is very experimental, but if you'd like to give it a whirl, please do - on a test machine. I've only tested it on xfce ('exec xfce4-session' in ~/.xinitrc). To get it going you need to put '@ldm' after hal in your DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf (or in a running system '/etc/rc.d/ldm start' might work).

Download the ldm package from: ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/larch/testing/

#2 2009-11-22 11:01:57

Heller_Barde

Re: Larch Display Manager

I like it a lot. it's much faster than slim smile some screen flickering occurs when I close my window manager until it goes back to the LDM, but that's okay. I'll see whether I feel like making my own theme, I'll post it here, if I do.

#3 2010-01-29 20:10:24

alternative

Hi
I like it too but i've got a problem with the sound each time. The sound doesn't work if i use it. All is right if i use slim.

#4 2010-01-29 20:15:35

gradgrind

Yes, I know. Unfortunately I don't know if this can be fixed, my knowledge of how exactly the login process and allocation of access rights works is too meagre. It's some sort of permissions problem that started after a change in udev rules.

Board footer