You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-21 05:12:16

ilembitov

eeePC 701 users - are you still out there?

Hi, all. I remember a lot of people buying 701s at the time of its release. It was kinda intriguing and inspiring, although not many folks realized what are they going to do with the thing. To quote somebody anonymous from the internets: "At the time of writing, most of you must have already packed yourselves with eeePC and already got ashamed by the fact to some degree". Then, a wave of modding came, since the original eeePC turned out to be useless for many of its owners.

But it was like almost two years ago. Buying eeePC 701 just to mod it (e.g. upgrade with additional RAM or hard drive, etc.) doesn't really make any economical sense anymore, so people are buying more advanced models these days. The owners of 701 have also mostly switched to something more robust. However, I do notice there are still some people who are using 701s. Some of them have even bought ones just now - and not always as a second-hand bargain! So, those folks must need exactly 701 - for a specific reason. And I wonder what is that. I am really curios. To my mind, eeePC 701 is actually the original vision of a netbook, which was abandoned with the next models - Asus (and the others) began producing more expensive and large models, instead of trying to minimize the price (or setting a certain price limit) on these machines. This is why I'd like to see how this original netbook vision actually works in practice.

So, if any of you guys are still using 701s - what are you doing with it? What kind of tasks do you perform on this machine? What distro, DE/WM, apps are you using on it?

#2 2009-11-21 11:58:06

bl1nk
Website

Re: eeePC 701 users - are you still out there?

I still got my 701. smile
It's running Arch with KDE4 roll and I just use it to browse the web, check my mails, read some books in pdf. Also taking it to school to my Java lessons just because it's small and it's not that much weight to carry around.

#3 2009-11-21 16:09:18

ninian
Website

big_smile Absolutely still happy using my Eee as a "pocket (literally) PC"; especially great for trips away and holidays when you need to keep in touch, and for helping out friends with their computer systems. (Ahem, I have been known to use it in bed too!) Have run Arch + Openbox on it for some time, having tried quite successfully a few other distros too (see http://appstogo.mcfadzean.org.uk/eeepc.html). But Arch is the easiest to manage and keep roughly in sync with my other desktop PCs. The only major difference, apart from avoiding big applications like VirtualBox, has been my decision to keep my data directories on the Eee encrypted using encfs, which I initiate via autostart.sh. I regularly mirror my entire SSD system onto a bootable flash drive which (with minor UUID, etc tweaks) serves as an emergency backup system. Battery life is pretty good too. Physically the size is just right for the pocket; any bigger for a netbook and you truly need a briefcase or bag to carry it. But don't get me started on Xandros ... by far the worst aspect of what was a great little package from Asus.

#4 2009-11-21 21:29:28

magnusk

It sits on the shelf unused for about a year. But you just inspired me to start it again and put Arch on it.

I am not stupid. I just have bad luck when thinking.

#5 2009-11-21 21:55:17

ilembitov

Oh, and one more question I would like to ask, since all of you guys are SSD users: was it true, after all, that using journal-enabled FS is harmful for SSD?

#6 2009-11-21 22:19:12

ninian
Website

ilembitov wrote:

Oh, and one more question I would like to ask, since all of you guys are SSD users: was it true, after all, that using journal-enabled FS is harmful for SSD?

Always used ext2 rather than ext3 and directed my logs to a tmpfs, just to make sure.
Anyway, if the SSD goes dud, it's not much of a problem to boot the Eee from a USB flash drive or an SD card. Plus, you can remove your data from the computer and keep it in your wallet! tongue

#7 2009-11-21 22:20:02

ilembitov

But you can't actually just change SSD if it's broken?

#8 2009-11-21 23:00:43

gazj
Website

Have been using my eee most days with arch+ratpoison, use it for mostly browsing email etc.  Keep my /home on a 4gb sd card.  Use unison to sync a documents folder in home with my main pc, can even sync when away from home if its needed.

Filesystem, been using ext4 ever since it was in kernel26, before that always ext3 - no ssd problems.

My partner has used hers literally hours everyday running ubuntu netbook remix also using ext4, she used eeebuntu before unr was released.  unr is great for the eee for the less advanced user.

#9 2009-11-21 23:02:46

ilembitov

So, actually you have used your eeePC 701 without any precautions? For how long?

#10 2009-11-21 23:10:44

gazj
Website

best part of a year, I must admit my for a month or so I used ext2, but fsck on boot up started to do my head in when I let my battery get flat, then I read somewhere about the write problem on ssd's being fud (on modern ssd's at least), so I thought for the cost of an eee pc was it really such a big deal if it dies, result so far on 2 eee's, fantastic.

#11 2009-11-21 23:14:45

ninian
Website

ilembitov wrote:

It's soldered in, so a careful replacement might be possible, but you take quite a big risk.

#12 2009-11-22 02:12:04

toofishes
Developer
Website

Running Arch + openbox + my custom kernel here still. Went from ext2 -> ext4 a while back and that was a good move. The only precaution I take is changing syslog to write to /tmp/ rather than /var/log/ so it isn't constantly appending to files that I rarely need to survive a reboot anyway.

I do some coding on it (django/python hacking, pacman hacking) as well as watching ripped movies once in a while. But more often than not it is just a good way to sit around and browse the internet.

#13 2009-11-22 09:36:21

vajorie

I have (701 4G) arch + fluxbox with openoffice + firefox and other stuff (was eeebuntu previously). Filesystem is ext3 and log files are not tmpfs'd smile This was the way I have been running this for the last 1,5 years or so. No custom kernel or such. /home is in /dev/sda1, but I keep my documents in a 2GB sd card (ext3 itself).

My firefox profile is on tmpfs though... But not to save the SSD, rather, to speed things up.

I mostly do: web surfing, mail checking, note taking (in class), writing papers (when in my office, I connect the usb keyboard & mouse of the office computer). During summers and vacations, it operates as my only computer.

It's used ~5-6 hours a day for 5 days a week.

As to the reason why I'm not changing it:
1. It suits all my needs.
2. I don't have much money to spare
3. I would buy a 1000-something, but Asus pissed me off by abandoning linux so willingly --now it's quite hard to find a linux netbook (I don't trust Dell --customer service).
4. I am waiting for system76.com to add an (unsoldered fast) SSD option to their Starling netbook (and perhaps a bigger battery). Hopefully, keeping the price under $400.

If 4 becomes real, 1+2+3 will become moot and I'll keep this beloved little thing as my beloved first netbook smile

Last edited by vajorie (2009-11-22 09:39:10)

#14 2009-11-22 13:15:07

gazj
Website

toofishes wrote:

Running Arch + openbox + my custom kernel here still. Went from ext2 -> ext4 a while back and that was a good move. The only precaution I take is changing syslog to write to /tmp/ rather than /var/log/ so it isn't constantly appending to files that I rarely need to survive a reboot anyway.

I do some coding on it (django/python hacking, pacman hacking) as well as watching ripped movies once in a while. But more often than not it is just a good way to sit around and browse the internet.

Oh yeah I still use your kernel, allthough the sotck kernel is in my boot options, the stock kernel now supports wifi etc, but your kernel has a smaller memory footprint or so I find.

#15 2009-11-22 13:34:19

markp1989

i had a 701 for about a year, got offered a 900 for 70quid so i sold the 701 wiv XP on it to my uncle, he uses it every day for work, and hasnt had any problems with it, he doesnt go online ever, just uses to to do diognostic tests on washing machines 

i have arch on my 900, toofish kernel with openbox, i have firefox + addons to make the most of the screen space, addons i use:

Fission (merges the loading bar and the address bar so i can hide the status bar)
Hide Captions titlebar plus (merges the menu bar with the title bar, so the close buttons are inline with address bar)
No squint (used to make text smaller)
tiny menu
stop or reload

all the addons i used are for space savings,

my internet connection here is a bit dodgy so il post this , then proff read it when i get home, so sorry for any typos etc

heres a screnie of it, looks nice big_smile
2009-11-22-134432_1024x600_scrot.png

Last edited by markp1989 (2009-11-22 13:52:20)

Desktop: E8400@4ghz - DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS - 4gb ddr2 800 - 30gb OCZ Vertex - Geforce 8800 GTS - 2*19" LCD
Server/Media Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX I-E - E5200 - 4gb Ram - 2* ecogreen F2 1.5tb - 1* wd green 500gb - PicoPSU 150xt - rtorrent - xbmc - ipazzport remote - 42" LCD

#16 2009-11-22 19:46:22

filoktetes

Bought mine in December 2007. Used it and loved it until I got my eee901 in October last year. Then I gave the 701 to my flatmate, and she's been using it regularly ever since. It still works perfectly. It runs Arch with KDE3, on ext3 smile SSD is still good smile

#17 2009-11-22 20:48:34

Cagnulein
Website

i still got my 701!
i use it on lunch to checking mail and moving on gameknot smile
It runs gnome smile

#18 2009-12-02 00:58:17

Kitty

Heh, oh my. I was googling for some .screenrc hints and it pointed me to a thread here about screen. Got to poking around and found this thread. I was using my eee exclusively while my main desktop was nursing a broken LCD. But that was replaced in early '09 and I've pretty much ignored the poor little thing since.

Maybe it's time to resurrect it?

Edit:
So this inspired me to fire up the old eee, and I quickly realized why I gave up on it. It took almost 5 min for Karmic NBR to boot. That pretty much made me give up on it. I stayed up last night and got Arch going on it again. I was really happy to see that wireless worked from the net-install.img (after a crash course in cli wlan0 config).

Boot time has really sped up since the last time I had arch on it, I'm going to enjoy using it now that it's almost instant on. Now to decide if I want to go with a DE or a ratpoison-esque setup.

Last edited by Kitty (2009-12-03 01:17:23)

/etc/rc.d/ is where daemons reside. Beware.

#19 2009-12-03 17:03:40

barzam

Not using a 701 but a 900, since 1,5 years. I use it daily for browsing the web, writing stuff and watching movies. Apart from the battery time (~2 hrs) I find nothing wrong with it. It is fast enough with the stock kernel and awesome wm, and I put some fastinit-script from the aur which makes it boot very fast.

No problems so far with ssd wear, I put ext3 on it when I got it and now using ext4 since quite some time.

It's one of the best computers I ever had, thanks to the low size and weight (and prize!).

#20 2009-12-08 19:49:11

Bucephalus

ninian wrote:
ilembitov wrote:

It's soldered in, so a careful replacement might be possible, but you take quite a big risk.

Go to forum.eeeuser.com and look for threads on physically hacking into your box, changing drives, ram, adding usb ports, net cams, lots of pics. If you know how to solder it shouldn't be too difficult.

Buce

Last edited by Bucephalus (2009-12-08 19:50:08)

#21 2009-12-09 00:17:23

ninian
Website

Bucephalus wrote:

Go to forum.eeeuser.com and look for threads on physically hacking into your box, changing drives, ram, adding usb ports, net cams, lots of pics. If you know how to solder it shouldn't be too difficult.

Will do, thanks; it's quite a while since I had a look there.

#22 2009-12-10 00:17:24

ilembitov

Guys, you kinda seducing me into buying one myself. Especially since I am willing to try using emacs for all tasks (turns out, you can run emacs instead of a typical WM in the X session). I think that ArchLinux+X11+emacs+basic texlive+some emacs extensions (like orgmode, muse, emms, perhaps, AucTeX) should fit into 2 gigs (my guess), leaving me with 2 gigs free and no real need for swap or RAM upgrade. My typical playlist is <2 gigs in nearly 320kbps mp3, so I could compress it with ogg to the medium quality and still have some place for the papers I need for university (I'll convert them to plain text, since I don't really need illustrations there). Some time later I could buy an additional SD card.

#23 2009-12-10 14:29:46

fabertawe

Had a 701 (4GB SSD) for about a year and a half. Still has Ubuntu 8.04 (ext3) on it with home encrypted via encfs. I upgraded the RAM to 2 gigs and don't have a swap. Always amazed how snappily it runs. It's ideal for taking abroad for email and amusement. Don't actually use it that often now but will update/change the OS at some point soon.

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#24 2009-12-13 21:49:25

Kelpie

I have tried to install Arch Linux on my EeePC back in June. I got everything to work except the mouse for Xorg.

I'm not quite so motivated to try again (an abundant of work to do to get it to work), but I may be if I can see a xorg config and get some help to get it to work.

I've had my EeePC 4G Surf 7c since December 2007. Since then, it's been great. I've had an nLited XP install on it for the majority of the time. Tried a bunch of linux distros on it. Now I ran into an issue with RNDIS support on my XP install... I wanted to use my G1 to USB Tether in CyanogenMod 4.2.5 (Yeah, I know 3 versions behind). And instead I have to wifi tether, which hurts my battery life on my phone.

Since that problem, I realized I have everything I need windows for on a computer I share with my boyfriend. And I don't like the big bulky look of XP and it cutting off where I need to see stuff.

On the SSD note: I've put swap/pagefile system on it since I got it. I can't go without it, because it's been my desktop replacement for nearly a year now, since my computer died. It's not the best SSD you can get, and it is on board the motherboard, but it's been going strong. I suggest to use ext2, because if you do anything like The GIMP/photoshop, watch videos (off an external monitor, mind you), etc, to reduce the amount of load on your SSD as much as possible for giving it to higher priority things. I'd say the same for a harddrive, but I think those are a lost cause. ;D It's not that these things are harmful to the SSD, it's just that the SSD doesn't need it. It's like defraging for instance, isn't necessary. However, that's a bad example, because defragging can be harmful to the performance of your SSD.

Last edited by Kelpie (2009-12-13 21:52:15)

#25 2009-12-15 12:36:33

monshin

I had my eee for about 1 year. Now my girlfriend uses it (for about 9 months). I used it for browsing the web, checking emails, studying, viewing ppts and so. I had Arch running on it. Actually has Ubuntu Netbook Remix and my girlfriend is really happy with it.

Board footer