You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-21 20:56:50

xn123

Half-Life 2 "The Orange Box, and Steam

Is there an "easy" way to get Steam installed?  I thought it use to be easy to install it, and it seems to be a lot harder now. I believe just a few weeks ago, you could install with a typical "wine /media/cdrom0/Setup.exe". Now I get permission errors when trying to read the DVD, and when I google it, there seems to be a lot of manual effort involved.  Previously I was using the Steam installer included with Left 4 Dead, now I am using the one in The Orange Box.  Maybe I can just install the games without using Steam, since I have the DVDs?

The instructions I found had a bunch of info on copying fonts from a Windoze box so that Steam could render itself properly, I don't remember having to do that before.

I also tried to install Diablo 2, which use to install easily.  My new box of CD's are labelled strangely, and wine can't install them. I get the same DVD permission errors.  The old CD's were labelled "Install", "Play", and "Data" (I think).  The new CD's are just labelled "1", "2", and "3".

I can post more detailed info, I was just curious if anyone had these games working using the latest boxed CD's.

#2 2009-11-21 22:50:02

ChemBro

Re: Half-Life 2 "The Orange Box, and Steam

Maybe you have a problem with your dvd (or you are not allowed to use your dvd. You have to be in group "optical"). Steam and Half-Life 2 (and Portal and the episodes of Half-Life 2) works fine here.

#3 2009-11-22 02:01:50

tom5760
Website

If you have Half Life registered on your Steam account, you can just download and install Steam from http://storefront.steampowered.com/down … nstall.msi and install it (google for how to install .msi files with steam).  Once you log into your account, you should be able to just download the games you want to play.

Also, make sure that /media/cdrom0 is in the list of drives in the "Drives" tab of winecfg, and that you have permissions to access it.

#4 2009-11-22 02:40:36

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

tom5760 wrote:

If you have Half Life registered on your Steam account, you can just download and install Steam from http://storefront.steampowered.com/down … nstall.msi and install it (google for how to install .msi files with steam).  Once you log into your account, you should be able to just download the games you want to play.

Seconded. However, I don't think you even have to have a Steam account to download the installer. To run it do:

cd /path/to/installer/SteamInstall.msi
wine start SteamInstall.msi

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#5 2009-11-22 16:18:28

xn123

I was able to install Steam, and from there, install HL2 and L4D.  I copied the contents of the L4D DVD into a temp directory (as root), then did a chown to change the ownership to my user account.  Then I got past the permission error, and was able to install steam.  Once Steam was installed, I had it download HL2 and L4D.  HL2 works out of the box, but L4D will require some tweaking.  I still might try the MSI approach, since I'm not sure how stable my solution is going to be. thanks!

#6 2009-11-22 23:29:39

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

In case you haven't already, check out http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … &iId=14592

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

Board footer