You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-09 04:33:07

n3olynx

Networking Question

Currently I have windows installed on my desktop. 2 hard drives are installed. I use my sata drive for storage. The sata drive is formatted as NTFS. If I install AL on the main drive, can I share the sata drive on Samba and keep it as NTFS? Or do I have to format it with a proper file system linux can handle to have read and write permission?

#2 2004-12-09 04:47:26

Stinky

Re: Networking Question

Linux can write to NTFS but as far as I know it is still VERY buggy and not really recommended.  And if I remember right, from my last kernel compile, you have to recompile your kernel to turn on NTFS write support.

Is that still true guys?

Linux has no trouble writing to NTFS drives on a different PC through Samba though.

#3 2004-12-09 04:58:52

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Stinky wrote:

Linux can write to NTFS but as far as I know it is still VERY buggy and not really recommended.  And if I remember right, from my last kernel compile, you have to recompile your kernel to turn on NTFS write support.

Is that still true guys?

Linux has no trouble writing to NTFS drives on a different PC through Samba though.

That is my take on the current situation too. Reading has worked fine for a while now though.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2004-12-10 09:22:40

UnderDog

With NTFS writing you can only change files without changing the byte length of the file. I don't know anyone that does that, but it "works." There's a thing called Captive NTFS that makes use of wine and the ntfs.sys driver. It's a little slow and sometimes borks but it works. It's no longer maintained. I'll make a pkgbuild for it because I was going to anyway.

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

And writing to NTFS via Samba works because the Samba host you're writing to takes care of the writing locally. The remote clients don't care what filesystem it is, as long as they can see the Samba host.

There's no place like /home

#5 2004-12-10 15:17:41

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

n3olynx wrote:

Currently I have windows installed on my desktop. 2 hard drives are installed. I use my sata drive for storage. The sata drive is formatted as NTFS. If I install AL on the main drive, can I share the sata drive on Samba and keep it as NTFS? Or do I have to format it with a proper file system linux can handle to have read and write permission?

To summarize what everyone else has said: Reading data on an NTFS drive is fine.  I wouldn't suggest enabling the write support, as it can potentially corrupt the data.  Once in linux, you can simply mount the NTFS drive (read only) and add a samba share on the mounted NTFS drive.

I you need any help setting this up feel free to ask.  Also, let me point out that if you plan on dual booting windows and linux, you have to have windows as the first partition on the disk - NTLDR doesn't boot any other way.

#6 2004-12-11 00:22:49

n3olynx

Thanks for the help.  Okay, this is what I am going to do.

1. Move files on storage drive temporarily to main drive.
2. Format storage drive with fat32 file system (Just in case I need to dual boot and still have access to drive)
3. Move files back to storage drive.
4. Install AL on main drive

I'm not planning to dual boot with windows and linux. But, just in case I decide to install windows in the future I think a fat32 fs is best. For now, windows will stay on my laptops since I use them for school. The printer will be networked on another computer since it's not linux compatible.

Is this the best route to take? Any suggestions? Thanks.

#7 2004-12-11 03:56:17

n3olynx

Okay, I encountered my first problem. I forgot that fat32 doesn't allow files greater than 4GB.  I don't want to split the file up. What filesystem should I use?

Board footer