You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-22 20:33:26

donkyhotay
Website

xsane closes with warning

Been having some problems with xsane. Whenever I try to launch it says it's detecting my scanner, then it just quits. Launching from CLI gives
(xsane:3713): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
Following the instructions listed on the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/USB_Scanner_Support I have been able to successfully scan using scanimage from the CLI so I know my scanner works, has the correct permissions (I can scan without root) and all around works so I think the problem is just with xsane. The version of sane and xsane I have installed are direct from pacman. I have tried deleting my .sane folder with no change. If I try to launch xsane with the scanner off I get the message reporting "no devices available". I have even tried launching xsane as root with no difference except a message telling me I shouldn't run it as root. Any ideas on whats causing this and how I should resolve it?

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on beliving in windmills.

#2 2009-11-25 03:08:29

donkyhotay
Website

Re: xsane closes with warning

Anyone?

Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on beliving in windmills.

#3 2009-11-25 07:01:40

Dheart

If you experience any problems after installing xsane
it may help to remove the setup and preferences files
of xsane:

rm -rf ~/.sane/xsane"

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#4 2009-11-25 20:18:46

donkyhotay
Website

As I mentioned in my previous post I have even tried removing the .sane folder (yes, the one located in my home folder) entirely to make certain I got everything. Besides prompting me to accept the GPL again there is no difference. Any other ideas?

Last edited by donkyhotay (2009-11-25 20:19:52)

#5 2009-11-25 20:51:49

Dheart

Hm... got to learn to read carefully...
Anyways on my system some gtk applications (like nvidia-settings or gmrun for example) crashed when having gtk settings set to gtk-qt-engine. Try moving your .gtkrc, .gtkrc-2.0, .gtkrc-mine (all gtk related files) to a temporal backup folder and try running the xsane application without those files.

#6 2009-11-26 05:08:58

donkyhotay
Website

Dheart wrote:

Hm... got to learn to read carefully...
Anyways on my system some gtk applications (like nvidia-settings or gmrun for example) crashed when having gtk settings set to gtk-qt-engine. Try moving your .gtkrc, .gtkrc-2.0, .gtkrc-mine (all gtk related files) to a temporal backup folder and try running the xsane application without those files.

I tried following your sugguestion but it turns out I actually don't have any files/folders related to gtk in my home folder (and none of the ones you mentioned). I'm running a pretty vanilla version of gnome on my system. Think maybe I'm missing something?

#7 2009-11-26 06:38:15

Dheart

Are you running the vanilla gnome theme? If not try changing to the default one (it tends to work for everything most often)
If not...
I don't know.

EDIT:
You might add a new user temporally and try running xsane from there to see if it's really a gtk them problem or not.

Last edited by Dheart (2009-11-26 06:39:03)

#8 2009-11-26 20:31:23

donkyhotay
Website

I meant vanilla as in plain/default, not vanilla as in the gnome theme. I'm actually using clearlooksfor the gnome theme. I have tried logging in under a second user account with no change.

#9 2009-11-26 21:41:06

Dheart

Sorry then, I have no idea how to help you.

Board footer