You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-24 09:46:41

Valiant

Murmur & Mumble installation

Hello,

I"m a proud new Arch Linux user, having spent 3+ years on Ubuntu and 2-3 years before that on Suse.  I'm loving it so far!

Two of my sons and I are big WoW fans and I'm anxious to try out the new Murmur and Mumble 1.2 betas.  Been looking at websites and info for half a day and frankly I'm lost on how to successfully install Murmur.  I've seen the Murmur 1.18 files in AUR and comments about installing 1.2 but don't understand how to substitute the 1.2 files in such a build attempt. 

Could also use help on server setup and administration.  I can handle port forwarding and probably the client install, but documentation for the server is very minimal.  I've already downloaded and unpacked murmur-static_x86-1.2.0~beta1.tar.lmza and murmur.x86 will technically run.  But the server should run as a daemon.

If there are any Arch gurus out there running Murmur, I'd greatly appreciate a hand at getting this up and running.

#2 2009-11-24 10:30:38

rusty99

Re: Murmur & Mumble installation

Check out the source=('http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mumble/........') from the mumble PKGBUILD, then alter it to suit by changing the pkgver, ie pkgver=1.1.8 --> pkgver=1.2.0~beta1 and see if it builds succesfully.

#3 2009-11-24 20:10:05

Valiant

Thanks for the tip Rusty.  I had to also change the Md5sum in the PKGBUILD file and then it built correctly.  So now the server is working.

It uses an SQLite database for user management and I'm having trouble adding new users.  I tried a little tool that came with it called murmur-config.sh but apparently the database structure changed between 1.1.8 and the new 1.2.0 beta and I can only find documentation on the old structure.  I've checked the database out a bit with sqlitebrowser but haven't figured out the hierarchy and relations between tables yet.  Plus it seems like a really problematic way to add users.

I spent last night playing around with mumble-django as a possible control application.  But I've still to figure out a few things and it seems to be in developmental flux.

Any suggestions?  All this dbus, ice, and python is way out of my league.

#4 2009-11-24 21:01:11

rusty99

Good to hear you got it built, I've not tried Mumble / Murmur and playing with databases is not something I've dabbled in yet, so I won't be much more help.

#5 2009-11-25 06:27:47

Valiant

All worked out.  It turns out the the mumble/murmur 1.2 beta allows the client to control the server in  SuperUser mode.  So I didn't need any of the tools I was trying to work out.  Thanks for the help.

Board footer