You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-26 14:03:29

falconindy
Developer
Website

[SOLVED] Kernel .config doesn't save everything

I've been tinkering with compiling slimmer kernels lately, and one thing that's been of minor annoyance is that the resulting .config files don't seem to save everything. The majority of the options are saved when I reuse my previous .config but, for example, a lot of the options to compile kernel modules are not saved. The end result is that I spend a lot more time than I should to compile a new kernel with only minor changes.

I'm doing it the ABS way with modifications to the PKGBUILD. My customization weapon of choice is menuconfig. When I reuse an old .config, I'm exchanging the ABS-included config.x86_64 for my own and resumming.

Is there some extra config that I'm unaware of to save all of my options? Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by falconindy (2009-11-26 16:19:04)

#2 2009-11-26 14:24:38

klixon

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel .config doesn't save everything

Assuming you had the option enabled in your currently running kernel, you can always do this:

zcat /proc/config.gz > ./.config

That gives you the config file for the currently running kernel

hth

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2009-11-26 16:18:52

falconindy
Developer
Website

klixon wrote:

Assuming you had the option enabled in your currently running kernel, you can always do this:

zcat /proc/config.gz > ./.config

That gives you the config file for the currently running kernel

hth

Wild. I swear I've done that before and gotten different results. Perhaps use of zcat rather than lesspipe was the key? That'll do nicely.

#4 2009-11-26 20:40:13

methuselah

I've had that happen to me a long time ago..... after spending an hour in make menuconfig and saving it, my kernel was built with the ARCH generic kernel config in /proc and only a couple of my settings were saved (but the k8 setting for AMD64 was not one of them).

I fixed that issue by disableing IKCONFIG_PRO in the make menuconfig. I think it should be in the General section (just be sure to save your old /proc/config.gz somewhere else just in case):

It looks like this in the .config

CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
# CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC is not set

Last edited by methuselah (2009-11-26 20:40:57)

Board footer