You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-28 01:24:44

zer0cool

Computer freezing when copying from Samba Share

I've just installed arch linux a couple of days ago and i've come across this problem. I want to copy all my files from my laptop over to my home directory. I've mounted the share i want to access using mount.cifs, and then i issue the copy command with -ruv, it starts copying for maybe two minutes and then the entire computer freezes (not just X, i can't change to any consoles). The laptop in question is running windows XP, uses a wireless connection and i'm looking to copy about 40GB worth of data across. I've choosen to use xfce so i would rather not install bulky file managers that allow you to browse samba shares and stick with doing it in the terminal.

I'm guessing since it's a wireless connection it looses some packets occasionally which screws up the samba daemon or something like that, but is there anyway i can do this over the network without plugging my laptop into a cat5 or copying the data across using a usb HD?

#2 2009-11-28 07:46:59

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Computer freezing when copying from Samba Share

Samba shouldn't freeze.  You can do this completly outside of X to help minimize the variables.
How are you mounting it (show me the mount line).

Example:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=WINDOWSUSER,password=WINDOWSUSER'SPASSWORD,uid=1000,gid=1000 //192.168.1.6/share /media/share

The uid/gid match your user.  You can it more securely without having the u/p in the mount line but since you're doing just a one-off, I don't think it's important.

FYI: a crossover cable of CAT5E will will MUCH faster than wireless.  You'll just have to use static IP configs in each PC since there is no DHCP.

Last edited by graysky (2009-11-28 07:49:03)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2009-11-28 08:08:00

zer0cool

Heres what i'm using:

mount.cifs //192.168.0.37/"FAT32 (D)Tim" /media/msi -o user=tim

then it prompts for a password and it mounts. I tried using your similar looking command but it didn't work and just returned a Usage document.

I don't really think this is an access problem though as it copies a few files then freezes. I might try adding a samba share space on the pc and then using the laptop to copy the files across rather than the other way around.

#4 2009-11-28 08:28:25

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Good idea, give that a try.

#5 2009-11-28 08:59:27

zer0cool

Ok tried doing it the other way and after a few files it freezes the PC once again. Not really sure what the problem is here. i had a look at the log files in /var but couldn't find anything.

#6 2009-11-28 09:05:13

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I have no experience with wireless, to isolate the problem you need to try it wired now.

Board footer