You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-28 19:32:06

jamierc

How to install latex *.sty files on Arch

Hi,

I'm trying to install parano.sty on texlive - so I can use numbered paragraphs.

I've googled loads but can't find a decent guide on how to install sty files for latex.

So far, I've copied the *.stl and *.tex files to /usr/share/texmf and several directories under that (/latex /parano), and ran mktexlsr. Running texmaker after this, it still doesn't recognise the sty file I've tried to install.

Any help would be appreciated?

#2 2009-11-28 19:44:23

bender02

Re: How to install latex *.sty files on Arch

First of all, /usr/share/texmf is a baaad place to put extra latex files. You should use ~/texmf. (But of course, if you put it into /usr/share/texmf it will still work, but it's a bad practice to manually shove files under /usr/share.)

I think that in your case, there's one extra directory missing, it should be ~/texmf/tex/latex/parano/*
Tex is quite keen on keeping the correct directory structure, so if you're in doubt, just take a look under /usr/share/texmf for the correct placement smile

There's some info that might be useful to know: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Texlive
h

#3 2009-11-29 00:06:41

jamierc

bender02 wrote:

I think that in your case, there's one extra directory missing, it should be ~/texmf/tex/latex/parano/*
Tex is quite keen on keeping the correct directory structure, so if you're in doubt, just take a look under /usr/share/texmf for the correct placement smile

Thanks for the quick answer.

I do also have the sty file in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/parano/*
I don't have any file structure at all for texmf in my home directory - should I copy the whole tree there? Even if I were to do that, when I run mktexlsr, it only looks in the /usr/share directories

Thanks again

Last edited by jamierc (2009-11-29 00:08:22)

#4 2009-11-29 08:37:17

bender02

You don't have to copy over anything extra. The way texlive works it that it "overlays" the trees when it is searching for files, i.e. it first looks into ~/texmf, and then into /usr/local/share/texmf, and then into /usr/share/texmf{,-config,-dist,-var}. You can even put files with names that already exist in the other trees into ~/texmf/, and they will be used instead of the other ones.
Oh and about mktexlsr: it only indexes the system trees, the stuff in ~/texmf is searched every time *tex is run.
You can check whether tex knows about your files by 'kpsewhich <filename>' - it should return the full path to the file, or nothing if it didn't find it.

#5 2009-11-29 10:03:46

jamierc

Thanks Bender. Hopefully I'll get there with your help.

So...heres a summary....I dont have any ~/texmf directory at all.
It seems that it would be preferable to put sty files there, if it existed, but that its not a big problem if I keep them in /usr/share/texmf - correct?

In that case, I still don't understand why its not working. The files I want to install are called parano.sty and parano.tex. I have copied them both to /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/parano/*
/usr/share/texmf/tex/parano/*

then ran mktexlsr
then ran texmaker, tried to compile file using the parano{} method, but compile fails as it can't find parano{}

Not sure if there's anything more I can do....?

#6 2009-11-29 12:05:30

bender02

Well it should be working; so let's see...
- ran mktexlsr as root?
- are the files readable (permissions at least r--r--r--)
- does 'kpsewhich parano.sty' return the full path to parano.sty?
If not, then the problem is somewhere with texlive, if yes, then the problem is with texmaker.
If it's with texlive, try to put the files elsewhere, e.g. to your home dir:
1) create ~/texmf/tex/latex/parano directory and copy the files there. Now try again kpsewhich. If it still doesn't work, there's a problem with your texlive installation, and I have no clue what it could be. In that case, I would probably recommend the "lame solution": uninstall all texlive packages, wipe any remains of texlive: delete /usr/share/texmf*, delete ~/.texlive; and reinstall the texlive packages.

#7 2009-11-29 15:46:46

bt

I have always installed in /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/latex/[name of package]
Future upgrades do not destroy the package (which happened to me with a garamond font the I installed in /usr/share).

Then run texhash to get the system to recognize the new package.

Any comments on the correctness of this procedure would be appreciated. BUT,  it works flawlessly.

Last edited by bt (2009-11-29 15:49:16)

#8 2009-11-29 16:25:27

bender02

/usr/local/share is different from /usr/share. Official packages never write to /usr/local/*. For texlive, the "recommended" way is to put files that are supposed to be available system-wide should go to /usr/local/share/texmf/, local user files into ~/texmf. I personally don't use /usr/local/ at all, since I'm the only person that uses my computer, and when I do backups I don't have to backup anything under /usr.

BTW texhash = mktexlsr

#9 2009-11-29 19:13:47

jamierc

Its working - thanks for your help.

To be honest, I don't know what the main problem was - I again copied everything to my ~/texmf directory, and it just worked.

Thanks again.

J

#10 2012-08-21 11:45:54

superpronker

I had the same experience... using the home folder instead solved the problem. I have no clue what it was but now it works and I agree with the point that it's easier to back up.

Note that no work is needed to make mktexlsr recognise the texmf folder in your ~ dir.

#11 2012-08-22 00:50:20

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

necropost2.jpg

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#12 2012-08-22 00:54:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi Mr. Elendig, 'report' button exists for a reason smile.

And superpronker, please familiarize yourself with our Forum Etiquette especially the part about necro-bumping (number 11).

Closed.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer