You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-11 19:01:37

n3olynx

IRQ and SATA HD problems hangs computer

I tried installing AL 0.7 on my desktop. It has a Asus a7n8x-deluxe motherboard with one IDE HD and one SATA HD. It uses the Silicon Image chip for SATA. During the installation boot up process, the kernel detects the SATA drive but it later hangs when sending some commands to it and I have to reboot the computer by turning the power off then on.

I read a couple of other threads and have come to understand that I have to recompile the kernel. I'm new at linux so, what options should I enable or disable when compiling the kernel? Booting with arch-noscsi bypasses the problem but, I can't mount the sata drive.

#2 2004-12-12 12:10:31

Taz76
Website

Re: IRQ and SATA HD problems hangs computer

I got a new SATA-driver (maxtor) and it worked (still does) like a charm with arch 0.7.. I've got an epox-motherboard which has VIA chipsets.. The only thing was that it mounts under /dev/sda.. but that's not really a problem..

#3 2004-12-12 17:35:42

n3olynx

Re: IRQ and SATA HD problems hangs computer

I have a Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SATA drive but, I don't think it's the drive that's giving me a problem when installing AL 0.7.  I booted up with AL 0.6 install cd and same problem occurs but, it doesn't hang like in 0.7.  Here are some of the things that occur when booting up AL 0.6
1. Kernel recognizes SATA drive that uses Silicon Image chipset.
2. IRQ 11 is disabled (don't know exactly why). This occurs in 0.7 and 0.6.
3. The kernel tries scanning hdg.
Scanning hdg takes some time. At this point, in AL 0.6 it does this 2x and because it can't find anything gives up and continues with boot up process. I believe that scanning of hdg also occurs in AL 0.7 but, instead of giving up and continuing with boot up it hangs.

Are there some kernel options I can pass at boot up to disable scanning of hdg? Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem? I don't want to stick with AL 0.6 b/c I'm afraid same problem will occur when kernel is upgraded when I send comman pacman -Syu.

Board footer