You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-02 12:41:20

luvien

Automount Issue on Gnome 2.28: GDM Mounts USBs after 2nd Insert

Good evening everyone (at least, it's evening here at my part of the Universe),

I have been using Arch for the past month (and Ubuntu/Debian for two years) but am totally stumped on this odd behavior.

When I first installed Gnome, I got that 'Permission denied' dialog box everytime I tried to mount a USB, but quickly realized that it was because of the wrong exec line at the start of my .xinitrc. When I changed it to

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

I thought everything would be fine. However, for a USB to automount, I have to insert the USB TWICE. I don't know why. The first time, it's detected by 'lsusb', but not by Nautilus (it doesn't even show up in the Computer directory).

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 3538:0059 Power Quotient International Co., Ltd 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0402:5602 ALi Corp. Video Camera Controller
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

In this case, it's the Power Quotient International USB that isn't being read. When i remove the USB and put it back, it automounts.

I have checked previous threads and most of them discuss the 'Permission denied' issue, which is not the same as this one :( I have also checked the 'I Won the Struggle Between HAL and PolicyKit' - I don't think I have the same problem.
I have installed gnome-volume-manager.
I have tried this issue on another user account, but it's still the same - takes 2 inserts of the USB to make it mount.
I am a member of the storage and power groups.

If there are any other logs that I should show, I would be happy to show them, but am unsure if I should post PolicyKit files (I'm not sure which one is in charge of drive automounting, I'm sorry) or if I should post my HAL configuration file, but so far I have checked my HAL config file and it is configured as was written in the HAL wiki.

If someone could please point me in the right direction of what file(s) to look at (is this perhaps a HAL issue? or Xorg? or PolicyKit?) I would be happy to look into it again and post the appropriate files.

Thank you very much! :)

Last edited by luvien (2009-12-02 12:41:51)

Board footer