You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-02 14:40:29

bagheera

Instalation from USB stick, "GRUB _" and nothing more [SOLVED!]

I need to install Arch on my netbook once again after over a year of usage. I have downloaded 2009.08 image and used that command to write img image:

dd bs=8M if=image.img of=/dev/sd[x]
(sdf1 in my case)

It was successful. But i can't boot from it. It just displays "GRUB _" (with blinking cursor)  and nothing more. I can do nothing.
I have checked it on two different flash drives, on two PC. Same thing.

What's wrong?

MD5 checksum of image is correct.

Last edited by bagheera (2009-12-03 10:22:32)

arch linux user

#2 2009-12-02 15:35:05

karol
Archivist

Re: Instalation from USB stick, "GRUB _" and nothing more [SOLVED!]

You shouldn't use /dev/sdf1 but /dev/sdf. That [x] in /dev/sd[x] means a single letter, no numbers, see?

From http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … lash_drive
Make sure to use /dev/sdx and not /dev/sdx1. This is a very common error!

If you do that and still can't install w/ the same problem ("GRUB _"), maybe you should use 2009.02 image or the one you've used the last time. Remember to make the needed changes in your setup, as there was a couple new things introduced to Arch, some things are done differently (read the past news from the main page)

#3 2009-12-02 16:10:55

ha0tang

I had the same problem as you did using the dd method and usb. I know that the image was written to the usb thumbdrive because when I mount it I could see the files.  I just used the unetbootin method instead.  There is also a problem the the unetbootin method but follow the direction in this post. The important part is identifying your usb drive.  Mine was /dev/sda1 during booting, don't know why but when it is installed it becomes /dev/sdb1.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=77815

#4 2009-12-02 16:15:00

karol
Archivist

I'd recommend using mount and dmesg *and checking it twice* just to make you're not going to overwrite some other disk.

#5 2009-12-03 10:22:06

bagheera

karol wrote:

You shouldn't use /dev/sdf1 but /dev/sdf. That [x] in /dev/sd[x] means a single letter, no numbers, see?

From http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … lash_drive
Make sure to use /dev/sdx and not /dev/sdx1. This is a very common error!

If you do that and still can't install w/ the same problem ("GRUB _"), maybe you should use 2009.02 image or the one you've used the last time. Remember to make the needed changes in your setup, as there was a couple new things introduced to Arch, some things are done differently (read the past news from the main page)

You are right, i made silly mistake. Tanks for fast help!

arch linux user

Board footer