You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-03 03:51:13

jlacroix

[Solved] Issues With Setting Time

I am using Arch Linux on my laptop and I'm having the following issues that are making me want to tear my hair out. Both issues have to do with time. This machine is not a dual boot so we're not concerned with that.

1.) Virtualbox insists on having the wrong time. As I write this it's 10:46pm my time, but my Windows XP Virtualbox image thinks it's 5:46pm. Under the Windows VM, I tell it to sync the clock via network. It does, and then it corrects the time. After about thirty seconds, it goes right back to being 5 hours slow. If I set the time manually in the XP VM, the same thing happens, it makes sure that it's wrong.

2.) I was thinking that was just a Virtualbox problem. However I have also noticed on my webmail, it's showing the incorrect times for email messages as well! If a message has a time stamp it will show up as wrong but if I check the same webmail account on another PC, it will show the correct time stamp on the messages.

Finally, KDE itself shows the right time in the clock on the system tray. Also, I don't know much (if anything) about UTC vs Local Time, and I don't remember what I set it to. I also cannot find on Google for the life of me where in Arch to set the time zone to make sure it's right. (My time zone is Eastern, as I'm near Detroit MI).

Thanks goes out to anyone that can end this frustration for me.

Last edited by jlacroix (2009-12-03 18:37:07)

#2 2009-12-03 05:30:19

karol
Archivist

#3 2009-12-03 06:34:03

doorknob60

Re: [Solved] Issues With Setting Time

I think it's an issue Local Time vs. UTC time, that kind of thing happens in dual boot situations between Linux and Windows if not set up correctly. Maybe look into that a little more, on my computer everything seems fine, but on my brother's Arch/Win7 dual boot it's 8 hours difference (makes sense as we're in GMT-8).

#4 2009-12-03 14:44:33

karol
Archivist

Many people are experiencing problems while dualbooting. It would be nice if someone shared his/her experience and maybe added a fix to the wiki (if needed).

#5 2009-12-03 18:26:51

jlacroix

But as I stated before, I'm not dual booting. The strange thing is that I have Arch on both my laptop and my desktop. Both are up to date and use the same version of Virtualbox, and have a Windows XP VM. On my desktop, the time is perfect in the OS as well as webmail and Virtualbox. On my laptop the time isn't right no matter what I do.

Edit: I think I found it. For some reason I didn't set the timezone in rc.conf. I thought I did. I set the time zone on one and not the other. Silly me!

Last edited by jlacroix (2009-12-03 18:36:52)

Board footer