You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-04 20:19:42

cshake

xdm/x11vnc error

I've been running xdm and x11vnc to log into a resumable desktop session on my headless box for almost a year now, but at some point in the last month an upgrade seems to have broken the system.

The vnc server starts fine, I am able to see the xdm greeter prompt, I log in, and at that point the vnc server seems to die and restart. The /var/log/x11vnc.log file contains no information about the 'crash', it seems to silently die. I tried to revert the xorg-xdm package to the previous version, but when I do that it gives me authentication failed errors (even though the name/password works fine on terminal). The x11vnc package hasn't changed in a long time, and I know I've restarted the system quite a few times since that last changed. However, I don't shut down the session often, so this problem could have started at any point since about mid-october.

This started happening at the same time as the samba server failing to authenticate, but that was fixed by downgrading the three component packages for that, while this still causes problems. I haven't been able to test what xdm does on a physical display yet, as I only use the box through remote connections.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-12-05 16:26:09

krunge

Re: xdm/x11vnc error

Check to see if the X server is crashing, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old etc.

There is a strange bug in Xorg that it crashes after the user logs in when x11vnc uses the XFIXES interface:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … stcount=13

The workaround is to use '-noxfixes'.  An automatic workaround is in the upstream x11vnc 0.9.9 dev tarball.

Last edited by krunge (2009-12-05 16:26:39)

#3 2009-12-05 23:03:45

cshake

Well, after looking into my logs I couldn't see anything in the Xorg.0.log (or .old) besides the startup sequence, and the crash kept happening after adding -noxfixes to the x11vnc command.
However, looking into it more I now see something in the kernel log, indicating that it's either xdm itself or libc causing the problem:
"Dec  5 17:51:56 Nova kernel: xdm[1594]: segfault at 1 ip b7633839 sp bfda3cac error 4 in libc-2.11.so[b75f3000+140000]"

This is the only error in any of the logs, I checked everything.log to make sure.

I tried a quick fix of downgrading to glibc-2.10-5 but dependencies on binutils failed, and I don't want to deal with downgrading too many packages right now.

#4 2010-01-02 03:08:05

cshake

Today I decided to completely reinstall my arch system, and am running into the second part of my original post again.

I got xdm running on a local display, with the login working and no problems.
Set up x11vnc with all the ssh forwarding, passwords, etc, and called from /etc/X11/xdm/archlinux/Xsetup

I can connect to the xdm prompt, it shows the buttons and the clock, but when I enter my username/password it fails with "Incorrect" - though I used the same user/pass to start the ssh tunnel, so I know it works.

My auth.log shows where the error happens:
Jan  1 22:03:58 Nova xdm[1822]: pam_unix(xdm:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=:0 ruser= rhost=  user=chris
Jan  1 22:04:00 Nova xdm[1822]: LOGIN FAILURE ON :0, H�Ä(H��[]ÃH�T$8�P^PH�Å��f.^O^_�

where earlier it succeeds when I logged in on the physical machine:
Jan  1 21:14:36 Nova xdm[1892]: pam_unix(xdm:session): session opened for user chris by (uid=0)

I can see that one is using xdm:auth and the other xdm:session, but I have no idea where to go now.

Chris

ps - error found in the x11vnc.log:
rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: ignoring unsupported encoding type zlibhex
- I don't specify encoding type, so the defaults might be wrong here.

Board footer