You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-05 13:29:15

Roline
Website

[SOLVED] Modules in hwdetect and rc.conf

Hello!

This weekend I decided to make the step from Ubuntu to Arch and I like it alot! But I have a question about the MODULES=() in rc.conf

After the succesfull install of Arch I installed hwdetect. I ran # hwdetect --modules and a huge list of modules came up.
The problem is; in the /etc/rc.conf file is nothing listed in the MODULES=(). I've got no idea which modules are important and which are not.

Specs:
Acer Extensa 5230 Laptop

# hwdetect --modules outcome:

MODULES=(ac battery button processor thermal video cdrom agpart intel-agp i2c-i801 i2c-core evdev joydev pcspkr psmouse serio_raw led_class mmc_core sdhci-pci 
sdhci pci_hotplug shpchp acer-wmi wmi rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib output iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm 
snd-timer snd snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore scsi_mod ahci libphy tg3 mac80211 rfkill ath9k cfg80211 pcmcia_core rsrc_nonstatic yenta_socket usbcore 
ehci-hcd uhci-hcd sd_mod sr_mod st)

/etc/rc.conf:

MODULES=()

Which are needed in the /etc/rc.conf file? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Roline (2009-12-05 15:16:29)

Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

#2 2009-12-05 13:39:40

jac
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Modules in hwdetect and rc.conf

Is there any reason why you're trying to add things to the modules array? As far as I understand it, you only actually need to put anything in there if something doesn't work or you turn off module autoloading in rc.conf. Since you had to have Arch installed to install hwdetect, I'm guessing things are working OK? If not, that is where you should start looking for which modules you actually need. If that's the case, please let us know what isn't working.

Somebody with a laptop will probably be of more help to you

#3 2009-12-05 13:53:49

Roline
Website

Hahah ok, thanks!

Last edited by Roline (2009-12-05 15:16:46)

Bitbucket - DeviantART - Userstyles
*Currently Not Using Arch

#4 2009-12-05 22:44:03

jac
Website

Hmm, for that, what graphics drivers are you using? Do you have kernel mode setting enabled/disabled? I don't know much about those things on laptops, you probably want to search the forum for the answer. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_Graphics is the wiki page on KMS on Intel graphics things, I tried looking to see if I could decipher it, but it looks like you have a GMA 4500M, so I don't know at all, haha. I'm sure somebody with a Laptop will have more insight for you

Edit: Oh, wow, only after Misfit138's post do I realize I should have refreshed before posting this. Hopefully Compiz is up to speed then smile

Last edited by jac (2009-12-05 23:04:58)

#5 2009-12-05 23:02:21

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Udev handles the loading of modules and creation of device nodes, and does a very good job of it lately.
One nice advantage of the array(s) in /etc/rc.conf is the ability to control the order in which modules (and daemons) are loaded. This is very useful and necessary sometimes, but not always.
If nothing is broken, don't fix it. smile

Board footer