You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-14 12:53:52

sidewinder

No packages, connection timeout

Trying to install Arch on my new work computer, rather than the awful windows/suse dual boot set up it had.
I am currently using K/Ubuntu on my old computer which is what I am accessing the web with so apology's if any output is not that neat, I am having to hand transfer it over.

Also completely new to Arch so I will try and include everything, please ask if more is needed!

Trying to do a net install,

I set up the network and the mirror

After partitioning the hard drive
sda1   30GB    /    ext3
sda2     5GB    /var    RFS
sda3    4GB    swap
sda4    211GB    /home    ext3

I then move onto select packages, however the database synchronisation times out
output from tty7

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from archlinux.mirrors.uk2.net : Connection timed out
error: failed to update core (Connection timed out)
error: failed to synchronize any databases

I work at a university and think that I am fighting against the way the dns servers are set up, I had similar problems getting K/Ubuntu to be able to access the updates, now I need to work out how to do the same on Arch!

Using another console I have changed the hostname

hostname namegivenbynetworkadmin

as not having the given name caused problems on my K/Ubuntu desktop.

route gives me

#route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination    Gateway              Genmask    Flags    Metric    Ref    Use    Iface
128.243.0.0       *                     255.255.0.0     U        202       0       0      eth0
default          cca4-gw.is.nott      0.0.0.0         UG        202       0       0      eth0

ping gives me

# ping -c 3 google.com
PING google.com (209.85.227.99) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms

So it looks like it is looking up the ip ok, also i never get anything back if I ping on my working computer, something to do with the network, I think?

also the really strange thins is that if I do

pacman -Syu

it synchronizes the database fine, how do I get it to work within the setup program.

Thanks in advance, feel free to ask for any more output.

#2 2009-12-14 13:06:35

ZaQ

Re: No packages, connection timeout

#3 2009-12-14 13:11:36

sidewinder

ZaQ wrote:

I am not using a wireless connection?  Unless this is supposed to link somewhere else?  I have been following the guide through the install and set up the netinstall for DHCP and didn't seem to receive any errors.  The fact that ping google, caused it to look up and find the correct ip address made me think DHCP should be fine/ok.

#4 2009-12-14 14:03:57

ZaQ

Oh sry, i thought you use wireless... (have to read more serious)

Maybe you want to try to make a normal installation und update it later?
I don't know anything better...

ZaQ

#5 2009-12-15 07:14:06

tpfkanep

sidewinder wrote:

ping gives me

# ping -c 3 google.com
PING google.com (209.85.227.99) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms

So it looks like it is looking up the ip ok, also i never get anything back if I ping on my working computer, something to do with the network, I think?

also the really strange thins is that if I do

pacman -Syu

it synchronizes the database fine, how do I get it to work within the setup program.

Thanks in advance, feel free to ask for any more output.

I am also trying out Arch for the 1st time, and I have similar problems with my installation (although it is not a net-install).

I cannot get python, xfce, powerpill and a couple of fonts to install for some reason (connection timed out errors), but I get the same results for ping and pacman -Syu as you (also on a work PC, but in VirtualBox). I have just edited the mirrorlist and tried various other mirrors, and it seems as if my fonts are now being downloaded.

I also have to do the export http_proxy="proxy_ip:port" and export ftp_proxy="proxy_ip:port" before I start pacman.

#6 2009-12-15 09:54:14

sidewinder

tpfkanep wrote:

I also have to do the export http_proxy="proxy_ip:port" and export ftp_proxy="proxy_ip:port" before I start pacman.

I think I might also have to do this, but not sure where to put these commands in Arch so that they will be applied/used by the install program, in K/Ubuntu I was able to put them in bash.bashrc.

Anyone got any other ideas.  Can I somehow quit the installation at the stage I am at and finish it using pacman at the command line?

#7 2010-01-07 11:48:42

sidewinder

Managed to get Arch installed fine using the net install.

All the internet etc. works fine however if I am getting packages from AUR I often have to download them manually and point the PKGBUILD to their location, I am not sure why, I think it is something to do with the proxy/network setup.

Board footer