You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-14 20:57:00

Espada

Some Reccomodations for Hardware

Hey there,

I have a plan to make my own little game console, which is basically a mini pc running a minimal linux distro in the background sow it don't wastes much ressources.
The games played on this "console" don't have to be next gen, so i don't need the newest hardware. Actually I want it to be very cheap. Here the things I've come up with:

* Mini ITX Board (AMD compatible + with at least 4 USB ports + Audio + Mouse + Keyboard Out)
* AMD CPU
* NVidia Card (VGA + SVideo Out )
* Internal Storage (SSD vs HDD )
* Case
* Power Suppley

I intended to play these games on a normal TV(not HD TV) so I think SVideo is the only option to go. If somebody knows a better way it would be nice to tell me.
Also if you think Intel is better for gaming than AMD, just tell me. But always keep in mind the price also, thats mainly why I chose AMD over Intel.
NVidia Cards are said to run better on linux so I would go with that. The overall price should't exceed 200€(as I'm from Europe ^^).

Espada big_smile

#2 2009-12-14 23:12:11

karol
Archivist

Re: Some Reccomodations for Hardware

Linux and games ... Are you sure you know what you're doing? Mini ITX & SSD under 200€ - ummm, that'll be tough.
A friend of mine bought an old Pentium 3 with a 15" monitor for $30. He paid more for a nice mouse and keyboard :-)
BTW, how much is Xbox 360 Arcade in your country?

#3 2009-12-14 23:41:13

Espada

The 360 in my country is about ~160€. I already thought about getting one but for me it's also about building the system together.
I forgot to mention that my main purpose is then programming for this "console" because I'm currently programming in BlitzMax( little games and such )
The problem with XBox is that it's not an open system, which I don't like. And I don't want to code in C# ^^
However, I prefer gaming on consoles much more than on PC and so playing self programmed on TV would be great.

Another question: How much space is arch linux taking in it's basic installation? Because when booting up I would prefer a menu-like system just as the new consoles(ps3, 360, wii ) have it. Of course I would have to built that myself.

#4 2009-12-15 00:09:52

karol
Archivist

> I forgot to mention that my main purpose is then programming for this "console" because
> I'm currently programming in BlitzMax( little games and such )
OK, now I understand.
I think you should check some online stores in your country or your local computer shop and ask for a fast mini-ITX-based computer for under 200€.

> Another question: How much space is arch linux taking in it's basic installation?
Define 'basic' :-) My full setup takes 1.3 GB - this includes xorg-server and friends, around 300 packages altogether. I don't think that you should be concerned about space as you'll probably get at least 500GB HDD.

As you want to develop on the same computer you will play on, you should take care when updating your OS. Arch is a bleeding edge rolling release distro, so sometimes things break.

Good luck and have fun :-)

#5 2009-12-15 00:30:32

Espada

Define 'basic' :-) My full setup takes 1.3 GB - this includes xorg-server and friends, around 300 packages altogether. I don't think that you should be concerned about space as you'll probably get at least 500GB HDD.

I really just want to install necessarry things( X, GFX Drivers, Sound Drivers, Input Drivers for various Gamepads, ... ).
500 GB o_O I think a 2.5" around 160GB will be enough too ^^

I have looked through the wikis and from what I see I really start to like Arch( not just for this project, also as desktop environment )
As far as I have understood that you are completely free to configure your installation, although knowing how to configure it manually.

Have to test it out.

#6 2009-12-15 01:21:08

karol
Archivist

> 500 GB o_O I think a 2.5" around 160GB will be enough too ^^
It's your money and your toy, but the difference between 160GB and 250 GB is < 10€ so I think you should get at least 250GB.

Board footer