You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-16 19:39:45

udi

Building GNOME apps from source

Hi.

I just installed Arch on a virtual machine, and I'm trying to build a GNOME app from source code. In other distros this is very easy to do - you just install a package called gnome-devel and it provides you with the necessary header files and tools to build most source code.

What is the Arch way? I couldn't find a package named gnome-devel and couldn't see anything about it in the wiki. I installed base-devel.
Thanks.

#2 2009-12-16 20:05:30

loafer

Re: Building GNOME apps from source

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-12-16 21:16:46

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

udi wrote:

Hi.

I just installed Arch on a virtual machine, and I'm trying to build a GNOME app from source code. In other distros this is very easy to do - you just install a package called gnome-devel and it provides you with the necessary header files and tools to build most source code.

What is the Arch way? I couldn't find a package named gnome-devel and couldn't see anything about it in the wiki. I installed base-devel.
Thanks.

If I misunderstood you correctly:

Arch does not split out headers and so on into -dev packages. All of them are in the main packages. (with some rare exceptions)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2009-12-17 17:31:11

udi

Thanks Mr.Elendig, I was able to compile the code (only needed 1 extra package which was easy to find). I'm glad I finally found a distribution which doesn't split packages to -dev packages smile

#5 2009-12-17 19:58:43

Vamp898
Website

Gentoo doesn´t too xD but thats a other topic wink

but yes im lucky too that arch does not split all this stuff. But tell me, which app did you build from source (maybe it was already in AUR)

Board footer