You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-17 23:01:08

katzen

Some questions about an xmonad environment

I'm quite happy with xmonad, but I'd like to know how can I do certain things (if I can)
- How do I define different layouts different than full, mirror and tall? for example in some situations I'd like to have 4 terminals in a 2x2 grid. Is it possible?
- How can I make some software spawn directly as a slave?
- I am aware of the tabbed layout, but is it possible to have a tabbed layout as an application? with this I mean having some tabs as a master and other applications on the same workspace.

Thanks,
Francesco

#2 2009-12-17 23:19:00

YamiFrankc
Website

Re: Some questions about an xmonad environment

For the first thing you have the mod-period/comma binds. The M-comma adds a window to the master pane, that way i do it when i need it. M-period removes a window from the master pane.
The second thing is about Hooks(i think), im sure the FAQ or the documentation tell you how to do it.

Thanks and greetings.

#3 2009-12-17 23:54:03

katzen

thanks a lot, first two solved, I wasn't aware of the wonderful faq page. the solution to my problem was http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmon … ent_window

#4 2009-12-18 00:20:17

mikesd
Website

One of the best ways to get ideas for your xmonad.hs is to go through the config archives on the xmonad website along with the contrib documentation.

#5 2009-12-18 18:57:39

katzen

ok, I've got to something for the tabs problem, basically I use the layout combinator, something like this: simpleTabbed *||* Full. It does exactly what I want, but I can't move the windows between the tabbed section and the non tabbed one.
Is there a way to do so?

#6 2009-12-19 18:54:02

Kazuki

If I understand you correctly, this should do the trick: http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-co … ation.html

#7 2009-12-20 20:07:18

jelly
Administrator

katzen wrote:

ok, I've got to something for the tabs problem, basically I use the layout combinator, something like this: simpleTabbed *||* Full. It does exactly what I want, but I can't move the windows between the tabbed section and the non tabbed one.
Is there a way to do so?

I looked for an solution for that too, but there doesnt seem to be one, apart from layout combinators. #xmonad is a very nice and good channel to get more info to o;)

Board footer