You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-18 03:06:39

DaggersDrawn

Problem with installation

After I installed the OS my external hard drive was erased. I didn't do auto identify hard drives(don't know exactly what it's called) in the installation, I did manual  but I had no clue what I was doing. Is there anyway I can go back and recover all the lost files on my hard drive? When ever I plug it in it doesn't even register on My Computer.

#2 2009-12-18 03:21:20

sHyLoCk

Re: Problem with installation

You had your external hdd plugged in while installing arch?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-12-18 03:24:54

jdarnold
Website

There are a number of "recover from format" packages out there. As an inveterate dabbler in Linux, I have had to resort to them once or twice. I've had good luck with Partition Logic

#4 2009-12-18 03:38:11

pyther
Website

When you plug it in what does dmesg show (should be the last few lines).

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#5 2009-12-18 03:39:46

mikesd
Website

DaggersDrawn wrote:

<snip> but I had no clue what I was doing.

Ouch. If you didn't understand the install process Arch Linux may not be the distro for you.

sHyLoCk wrote:

You had your external hdd plugged in while installing arch?

If this is the case and depending on how important your files were you might be in a bit of trouble here. If you value those files the best thing to do before you try anything else is to take an image of the external disk. Then you could try some of the partition/filesystem retrieval applications.

#6 2009-12-18 03:44:34

ozar

DaggersDrawn wrote:

After I installed the OS my external hard drive was erased. I didn't do auto identify hard drives(don't know exactly what it's called) in the installation, I did manual  but I had no clue what I was doing. Is there anyway I can go back and recover all the lost files on my hard drive? When ever I plug it in it doesn't even register on My Computer.

Welcome to the forums!

The best tools I've seen for partition and data recovery are TestDisk and PhotoRec.  You can find them both on the Parted Magic LiveCD:

http://www.partedmagic.com

Hope it works for you.

oz

Board footer