You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-18 13:54:59

kekules_dream

cups upgrade problem [SOLVED]

I have finally reluctantly upgraded cups.  I held off as long as I could because I could never print with cups 1.4

I have a networked brother HL-2070n that never failed to be found and never failed to print before cups 1.4 came out.

For awhile I got by by ignoring cups in pacman.conf but now when I try to use cups-1.3.11 I can no longer start the daemon:

:: Starting CUPS Daemon 
error while loading shared libraries: libhx509.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I was forced to go ahead and upgrade cups.  Cups 1.4 can not and never has been able to find my printer.  If I set it up manually, no job ever prints.

Regarding points in the cups wiki article:
I have tried it with and without disabling ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.  No help.

# diff /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
shows no diff

jobs don't appear to be stopped, they just don't ever print

# /usr/sbin/cups-genppdupdate
has been run

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Last edited by kekules_dream (2009-12-19 12:36:24)

#2 2009-12-18 17:44:14

Dheart

Re: cups upgrade problem [SOLVED]

Recompile cups 1.3.11
That's the best solution I can offer.
The new cups rather doesn't work, than work..

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#3 2009-12-19 00:22:22

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

hi. I had a similar problem with my brother hl-2040. the first thing i did was switch from the foomatic driver to the official one, which i found on the AUR. then i removed the printer from cups and added it again. also you may want to check out the cups 1.4 section on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cup … CUPS_1.4.x, which helped me fix problems with my colour printer as well.

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#4 2009-12-19 12:35:53

kekules_dream

Thank you both for your replies.  I decided to try the driver in the AUR first.  Here are my notes.

In my router I had previously set the printer to a static address.  I had also added !usblp to MODULES line of rc.conf.

First I made sure I had deleted any print jobs and the previous printer set up in the cups web interface.

Then I pacman -Rsn gutenprint

After installing brother-hl2070n-2.0.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz (built from the aur)

lpinfo -v | grep -i 'Brother'
didn't return anything at all (which according to the post install instructions should return a URL) so I had to skip the following commmand:

lpadmin -p HL2070N -E -v URL -P /usr/share/cups/model/HL2070N.ppd

Went into http://localhost:631

HL2070N  was listed as a printer, but still nothing would print.  The connection was listed as a usb connection but this printer is connected to my router.

Under Printers tab, clicked on HL2070N,

In the Administration pull down menu I went into modify printer, and switched
to LPD/LPR Host or Printer

Entered lpd://192.168.11.3/queue

I'm printing again.  Hopefully for awhile.  Thanks again for the help.

Board footer