You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-18 23:28:41

saciel

X11 dual head - want to get window manager (gnome) on one screen only

What I want sounds simple, but I just can't get it done... Hope anyone is able to help me!

What I've got:
Four monitors (two at each of my nVidia graphic cards). Both devices are configured using nVidia's Twinview, giving me two virtual screens (:0.0 and :0.1).
I can use xinerama to get one huge desktop, but this doesn't work well, as the borders between two screens of the same device are no longer recognized in this case, causing windows to always span over two monitors on maximization.
I can also not use xinerama, giving me two independant gnome session.

What I want:
I want gnome to only start on one screen (i.e. two monitors), leaving the other screen blank but available. They don't need a WM as they will run nothing but a fullscreen mplayer or an xterm that will periodically output some stuff. I actually don't even need input devices for the second screen and it would be good if the mouse was restricted to the gnome-screen.

However, I didn't manage to make gnome start on only one screen. I don't care if it's done using one xsever with two screens attached or if I can do it starting a second xserver, I just want it resolved in some way.

I've tried to restrict gnome to :0.0 by setting the DISPLAY variable or giving gnome-sessions --display option. Both to no avail. When trying to start a second xsever (different layouts, each using one of the screens), my original screen becomes all white and on the second screen nothing happens. Any ideas?

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer