You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-19 13:23:17

ScottArch

[SOLVED] Kernel26-BFS - Is there a how to?

Hi Folks,

I would not consider myself a beginner, but I am no expert either. I have never compiled a kernel to order and have only ever used the stock kernel ... but hey, you have to learn somewhere.

My question is, is there some kind of how to? There are several options when you install the Kernel26-bfs and after an exhaustive search I cannot find explanations of what they mean in real terms (at least in the context of a Y / N question when installing a kernel). I decided I would stop compiling and work on answering these questions before I start again.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is the difference between Kernel26-bfs and kernel26-ck, are they by the same developer?

Regards,

ScottArch

Last edited by ScottArch (2010-01-06 19:42:37)

Acer Aspire 5920G - 2Ghz Core 2 Duo T7300 - 256mb Nvidia 8600GS - 4GB RAM

#2 2009-12-19 13:29:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel26-BFS - Is there a how to?

Just copy the stock Arch kernel config and then select BFS scheduler. You can google any option you'd like, and if you're using menuconfig (or one of the graphical configs like gconfig) there'll be tooltips on what the options do.

The BFS patch set is by Con Kolivas. kernel26-bfs and kernel26-ck are two AUR packages which both use that patch set (I think -ck has a few more patches by same author). There's a difference between developer and maintainer.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2009-12-19 15:43:12

bangkok_manouel

- bfs is an alternate cpu scheduler, focusing on improving desktop interactivity
- bfs is part of the -ck patchset
- broken out -ck here : http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/ … 1/patches/
- using bfs requires no special config, you just patch the kernel sources, period (this just changed in 312 where you'll have to chose bfs)
- to build and install kernel26-bfs or kernel26-ck, get the files from AUR, read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg and you should be good to go

#4 2009-12-19 18:03:23

brisbin33
Website

i've used -bfs extremely happily right up until last version when the AUR package stopped building.  the maintainer (SpeedVin) is AWOL w/o internet access for some time now.  i tried to switch over to -ck which builds/installs fine but then oss and nvidia won't work without some effort (to be expected, kernel mods and all); i hear it's easy to get passed (check the 'OMG! Con Kolivas is back' forum thread), i've just been lazy to this point.

HTH,
P

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-12-19 18:03:55)

#5 2009-12-20 11:22:34

ScottArch

Hi folks,

I don't think I explained myself correctly. When I was compiling the Kernel26-bfs it asked me a few questions about how I wanted to configure my kernel. The questions were about whether I wanted hierarchical or symmetrical scheduling (or something like that), etc, etc.

Anyways, I installed the Kernel26-ck anyway and it only asked my my required cycle speed and compiled and installed fine. Does anyone have an example entry (for me to edit) for this kernel. I have never written my own entry and dont wnat to make a mistake.

Where can I look to get the correct name for the kernel as it installed on my system so I can do this myself.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited by ScottArch (2009-12-20 14:03:58)

Acer Aspire 5920G - 2Ghz Core 2 Duo T7300 - 256mb Nvidia 8600GS - 4GB RAM

#6 2009-12-20 23:12:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Google for 'kernel compilation guide' or something of the sort. Your questions are valid, but answered many times in the interwebz.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer