You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-20 23:27:30

JoeKer1086

Sound not working with Firefox

I have firefox installed (Shiretoko) and installed the flash plugin and java plugin. Flash seems to work but without any sound. I am positive that it was working at first. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working but I think it was when i installed the gstreamer plugins then switched to xine. I switched back to gstreamer but it is still not working. I really dont know where to go with this one. Sound works for everything else.

I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

#2 2009-12-21 16:48:03

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Sound not working with Firefox

Try blacklisting the oss compability modules as a start, as mentioned on the wiki

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-12-23 05:24:25

JoeKer1086

I already blacklisted oss in modules..... i tried reinstalling firefox and flashplugin but still no sound within firefox.....

I understand it completely, grappled hopelessly with comprehension, balanced on the edge of insanity for an eternity.....a moment.

#4 2009-12-23 15:36:20

egan

I just got this problem as well. Sound has worked fine for me for ages, never had a problem with it. I run alsa only and of course this means that you can only play from one source at once, the only two being mplayer and Firefox. Recently Firefox's audio stopped working. Flash, inbuilt player, and mplayer plugin. I have never needed to blacklist the OSS modules before. I would really like Firefox sound back, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Speaker test doesn't work either, and it appears all things ALSA are broken (aplay is broken as well). Mplayer now claims it's playing to OSS. How in the world did alsa get borked? Is there a way to reset it?

EDIT: Thanks to finding the source of the problem I was able to fix it. It looks like the volume levels were really corrupted or something; following the wiki advice for first run levels fixed it for me.

Last edited by egan (2009-12-23 15:48:11)

#5 2009-12-29 16:04:23

cercasi2

I've got the problem after the last pacman -Syu. Alsa stopped working (flash is playing through alsa). OSS worked fine.

Found my bug when I tried:

# amixer set Master 90% unmute
Home directory /home/seb not ours.
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

amixer: Mixer attach default error: Connection refused

solved by removing /etc/asound.conf  (I tried to setup pulseaudio, but failed. this file is a relict of the pulsaudio setup).

thanks to the posters above.

#6 2009-12-31 16:59:09

JoeKer1086

Thanks! Removing that file didnt help but i manually unmuted all channels and now its working.

#7 2010-01-05 17:45:31

Cagnulein
Website

i've solved stopping pulseaudio :S

#8 2010-01-25 20:12:13

hit

OSS started crashing for me and I tried Pulseaudio, but couldn't get it working with everything I needed, so I decided to try ALSA again. Sound works everywhere (even Flash), except with Java. I'm using jre, since openjdk6 was too crappy for me (but sound worked).

Also tried reinstalling java and alsa packages, but no solution.

Last edited by hit (2010-01-25 20:22:30)

Board footer