You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-23 03:21:07

Medieval_Creations

[Solved] Konsole showing blank tab.

Hi All.

I've searched around and didn't really find anything that matched the issue I'm experiencing.

I've just done a fresh install of Arch x86_64 with kde4.  Everything seems to install fine with no errors but for what ever reason when I launch Konsole it opens with just a blinking cursor, not the command line like you'd expect.  Not sure if I overlooked something when I was configuring the base system or what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Last edited by Medieval_Creations (2009-12-24 15:25:37)

#2 2009-12-24 00:33:53

Medieval_Creations

Re: [Solved] Konsole showing blank tab.

Ok.  I'm still scratching my head with this one...

I've just done another fresh install using the Arch x86_64 FTP/Net install disk thinking maybe something got messed up after I ran the updates after installing.  Unfortunately that didn't change anything, I sill have the same problem.  Konsole will start and I can navigate it and change settings, but the screen is still black with just a cursor, no command line.  If I try to just launch xterm (while in KDE) it doesn't even launch and doesn't throw any errors, at least while in KDE.

When I exit KDE however I do see this error:

"xterm: Error 32, errno 2: No such file or directory" "Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys"

Now, I've gone ahead and checked and there are no pty devices in the /dev folder.
I downloaded MAKEDEV from the AUR and installed it & created the pty devices.
I still am unalbe to launch xterm and Konsole still has a black screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#3 2009-12-24 15:25:23

Medieval_Creations

Re: [Solved] Konsole showing blank tab.

Ok... I figured it out.
It was something that I did during the Config of the system and didn't even realize it.

In the fstab there is the following line:

# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0

I deleted it, not realiizing that it was used.
The only reason I even noticed it was because was doing another fresh install tring to figure out what I did and I noticed that line.

Problem solved.  Hope other can benefit from my self-inflicted problems.

Cheers.

Board footer