You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-24 16:17:12

YoungGods

mount external ntfs drive

I'm trying to mount my external usb disk (ntfs) as a regular user with read/write permissions. This drive is almost always connected but since it's a usb drive I cannot mount it using fstab (the drive is not detected when the drives in fstab are mounted on boot).

I'm using openbox and I was mounting the disk by adding "sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /home/rui/share/lacie/" to my autostart.sh file.
It was working fine, and I had read/write permissions on the disk. It stopped working a couple of days ago, I cannot write to the disk.

Thunar mounts it read/write for my user automatically if I unplug / plug the drive.

If I replace the mount command in the autostart.sh file with "thunar-volman -a /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_" it gets mounted correctly (R/W for my user)

So, what changed, and how can I mount it correctly without using thunar-volman?

#2 2009-12-24 16:32:28

pyokagan

Re: mount external ntfs drive

Maybe since you are mounting the drive under root using sudo, the ownership of the contents of the mountpoint is under root. Thus, you do not have permission to write to the drive.

Try passing the uid option to make you the owner of the files in the drive.

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /home/rui/share/lacie -o uid=$(id -u)

#3 2009-12-24 17:22:18

YoungGods

Re: mount external ntfs drive

pyokagan wrote:

Try passing the uid option to make you the owner of the files in the drive.

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 /home/rui/share/lacie -o uid=$(id -u)

Hi,

I forgot to mention that I had already tried that. Tried it again, but it still gets mounted read only.

I have two other ntfs partitions that I mount using fstab

/dev/sda2  /home/rui/share/d ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
/dev/sda1  /home/rui/share/c ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Both get mounted R/W

drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8192 Dec 23 19:22 c
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Dec  6 13:36 d

I'm probably missing something obvious here. Was there any recent update that changed something related to this?

Thanks,

Board footer