You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-29 01:01:28

SternGerlachExperiment

Network up but having problems reaching web sites

I first suspected this to be a hardware problem but now I'm beginning to think it could be software related.

My problem is that the network connection is up but the browser occasionally says it can't find the server I'm trying to access. I can't really reproduce to problem, since, from what I can tell, its behaviour is completely random.

Sometimes I can use my PC for hours and not have a single occasion of this. Sometimes it may occur every time I try to reach a new server. Eventually I always get where I need to. The problem is that I have to press reload / F5 from one to ten times before this happens.

Where could I start looking what happens at the moment of server not being found?

#2 2009-12-29 05:21:22

umpalumpa1985

Re: Network up but having problems reaching web sites

It may not be related at all, but i was having the same sort of trouble a while back, and it turned out to be a problem with my ISP's DNS.  I set up my router to use OpenDNS, and then set up dnsmasq as a local DNS cache, and now speed has improved drastically!

Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake.    ~Napoleon Bonaparte

#3 2009-12-29 14:28:15

Cyrusm

SternGerlachExperiment: what kind of hardware/drivers are you using?  is this a wired connection or a wireless connection?  when this error is occurring, can you ping your router?

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#4 2009-12-30 00:28:36

SternGerlachExperiment

Thanks for your answers. I'll give OpenDNS a try.

This PC is connected with a wire to a router which in turn is connected to a cable modem. I can always acces the router and the cable modem web interfaces (haven't tried ping but I suppose then it would work too?). Even if the browser says it can't find any remote server I can access my router by entering its IP on the browser's address field.

On the other hand a (Windows 7) laptop connected wirelessly to the same router doesn't seem to have the "server not found" problem.

#5 2009-12-30 00:36:38

jdarnold
Website

Have you tried disabling IPv6? It can take a while to resolve hosts using it and perhaps things are timing out?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module

Board footer