You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-30 14:13:49

jordi
Website

second monitor stays black (xrandr, xf86-video-ati)

Hello fellow archers,

I put xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of VGA-0 --auto into my wmiirc, so that my second monitor is right-of the first one. This works sometimes fine, but sometimes the second monitor stays black.

xrandr -q then returns the DVI-0 output, and I can also move my mouse over the first screen border onto the second screen. I can also move apps onto the second monitor and everything. But it is black...

What really bothers my is that it is completly random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Then I have to turn off / on the monitor some random times. And if that doesn't work I have to issue xrandr --output DVI-0 --off and -right-of VGA-0 --auto some more times until it finally works.

With 2.6.32.1 and KMS enabled it did work ALL the time without a problem. But then came 2.6.32.2 which broke KMS and then the ati drivers with the whole libdrm stack and everything got somehow updated to not support kms from 2.6.32.1 anymore (to which I downgraded).

So for now I disabled testing again, as everything is in core now.
Got a Ati HD3200 onboard chip here.

My xorg.log got many of these lines here, maybe that is related to the problem.

Enable CRTC memreq 0 success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
Unlock CRTC 0 success
Output CRT1 enable success
(II) RADEON(0): DIG0 transmitter: Coherent Mode enabled
Output DIG0 transmitter setup success
Enable CRTC memreq 1 success
Enable CRTC 1 success
Unblank CRTC 1 success

If anyone has any idea. I really appreciate any help. Since I have no idea where to look into this issue. Already tried out openbox as a wm, thince I thought it could be a wmii problem. But that wasn't the case.

Back when I used catalyst it also used to work all the time. That, and that it was running with KMS fine proves for me that the monitors themselves are working correctly. So it has to be a driver problem.

Here is the xorg.conf, which is very minimalistic. Just put the Virtual Display Section in there to use xrandr.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Archlinux"
    Screen        "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/local"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "ati"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    SubSection "Display"
        Virtual 4096 1152
    EndSubSection
    DefaultDepth     24
EndSection

Last edited by jordi (2009-12-30 14:16:14)

Board footer