You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-30 16:10:11

igallart

Speakers makes a whistle after install a new reader CD [SOLVED]

It works fine, but when the hard drive is not loading, so as a whistle, it is hardly perceptible, but very annoying. Before upgrading I did not.
I installed a Windows partition, and the whistle does not Windows. Only when the disc makes this "standing", ie if I'm reading files, writing, copying, etc.. does not make noise.I thought back to previous kernel to see if it happens. How can I do?
Does anybody happened?

Last edited by igallart (2009-12-31 13:08:12)

#2 2009-12-30 18:04:41

igallart

Re: Speakers makes a whistle after install a new reader CD [SOLVED]

I've found the problem, not is the hard drive, but I do not know what it is. The sound disappears when not connect any USB device. I just got the mouse connected, and when it off and does not whistle. I tested with pen drives and whistles. In Windows does not pass. Therefore, it is a problem with USB connections. How do I install the old kernel to see if it happens anyway?
How do I install the old kernel to see if it happens anyway? It's in AUR or where did I install?

#3 2009-12-30 18:12:09

ewaller
Administrator

What happens if you turn your sound volume down, or plug in a headset to shut off the speakers? 

My guess is either (1)noise is being coupled into the audio amps for some unknown new reason, or (2) you are hearing a switching power supply operating in the audio region.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2009-12-30 18:40:37

hokasch

If youre lucky the old kernel is still in pacman's cache, if not... some uk mirrors seem to be terribly out of sinc, maybe look there.

#5 2009-12-30 19:01:44

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

http://schlunix.org/archlinux/ <-- server that holds outdated packages for just such an emergency.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#6 2009-12-31 10:11:17

igallart

Thanks for your help. I had a backup a month ago and I have to try. The noise did the same as soon as I connected a USB peripheral. t is very strange because with both Windows and a Ubuntu LiveCD does not. I will continue investigating, thank you very much.

#7 2009-12-31 10:18:45

vacant

Do you have a microphone on the PC or on a webcam? If so, mute the mic. I had my laptop mic picking up disk activity/clicks etc.

#8 2009-12-31 13:07:08

igallart

Finally found the problem. Recently I changed my CD player with a new, internal to the laptop.
For some strange reason, the CD audio stream produced the sound. I've turned off the volume driver and now it does not. The strange thing is that with the previous reader nothing happened.

Thanks!

Board footer