You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-02 01:05:34

ShatteredVision

toshiba nb205

Hi
   I bought a new toshiba nb205 and it's a great little netbook. Everything seems to work for the most part with my arch install but It needs a little tweaking. First I don't understand why alsa won't work with the internal speaker but will work with an external or headphones. I've installed oss to be able to get sound out of the speaker but now it won't turn the speaker off when using headphones. Not really a big deal I decided to just leave alsa and use the headphones when I want to hear sound since I really don't need to hear sound on it often. I'm just curious to why it doesn't work right when it detects the hardware propperly. I read somewhere about the new kernel .32 fixing this but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Also I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting the blue tooth to work or the hotkeys. It works ok with the brightness buttons but doesn't seem to work with some of the others. fortunately the ones I use alot like the home/end keys work.

Last thing is I can't seem to get it to start up again after having it suspend or hibernate. I just get a black screen although the computer is obviously starting again.

Sorry for writing a novel for this post but I really like this netbook and love arch. I have Arch on all my other systems with no issues and would like to get as much working as possible. I also plan to write an install guide once I get everything working since there is very little documentation on any toshiba netbooks using linux. Some posts on the ubuntu forums but thats about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Also was wondering if its possible to get the hard drive protection feature to work. Looks like its something toshiba has with all of their notebooks but haven't seen anything about this on the web involving linux. So maybe not possible but if anyone has any information about this I'd really appreciate. it.

Thanks

*update*

I was reading about the sound issue on the web and I read that up untill kernel 2.6.26-7 the sound works fine with alsa but any kernel version after and all sound works except the internal speaker. Seems strange that an older kernel would work better than a newer one. Maybe theres a way I can patch the newer kernel or do something else to get this working other than installing oss.

Last edited by ShatteredVision (2010-01-02 06:28:49)

#2 2010-01-02 06:58:31

ShatteredVision

Re: toshiba nb205

*update 2*

After drinking a scotch and playing around with the configs I found a solution. It makes all sound options work perfectly and was much easier than messing with the kernel. Heres what I did.

Step 1:

sudo touch /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

Step 2:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

Step 3: add this line to sound.conf     

options snd-hda-intel model=auto

(you could also put model=toshiba)

Step 4: reboot and have sound working correctly on the toshiba nb205

Hope this could help someone who's had as frustrating a time as I have.

#3 2010-01-02 07:27:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Nice work. For posterity's (and Google's) sake, you could change the heading to something a little more descriptive (Fixing sound issues in Toshiba nb205, for example?) and mark the thread solved. It will make it easier for others to find this little nugget of goodness...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2010-01-02 07:30:55

ShatteredVision

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaving it open only because there are a few other issues I mentioned but I plan to write an install guide for the nb205 once I get everything working so it will be easier to find for people. I still need to figure out suspend/hibernate to work right. I plan to keep this updated as I make progress and hopefully I'll get everything working in the next couple days. I plan to post the guide in the wiki if possible since currently there are no articles for any toshibas.

#5 2010-01-05 18:58:22

silence_kit

I don't have anything to add except that I look forward to your guide!

#6 2010-01-05 19:11:42

ShatteredVision

silence_kit wrote:

I don't have anything to add except that I look forward to your guide!

Thanks,
     I don't know anything about posting a wiki and was wondering if I type up the quide would someone help posting it on the arch wiki? I hope to have it finished soon and will be posting it on the forum. It won't be complete since theres still a few things I need to work out but I can always add those later once I figure out how to get them working.

#7 2010-02-17 23:38:19

gyoza1

Suspend would not work for me either, until I added the "resume hook" as described in the pm-utils article. Thanks for the audio solution. Not having a working speaker was driving me nuts.

#8 2010-02-18 03:38:45

DStein

If you have the model that includes Bluetooth, I've found that the omnibook-svn package in the AUR works wonders in getting that up and running.

#9 2010-03-03 04:21:24

jduvall

Any word on the wireless working or not?

Board footer