You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-02 06:55:46

davidm

[Solved] 2 strange X11 related issues

Hello I am new to Arch but I have been reading the forum for a little while.  I have an install mostly done but ran in to a couple odd issues that I am hoping to get some assistance with:

#1 - running "nvidia-settings" yields:

[root@arch-desktop ~]# nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running KDE but I tried installing gtk with no luck.  What is going on here and what do I need to install, if anything?

#2 - an even odder issue.... I have my xorg.conf set up to use 1920x1080 resolution using the proprietary Nvidia driver.  It mostly works, However, it will load by default into 1920x1080 for the Virtual settings but the physical setting will be smaller resolution.  It stays like this until I open system settings and choose "Display".  Here's the strange thing.  I don't need to click anything or change anything.  Nor do I have to exit it or save or any such thing, the mere act of opening "Display" sets my resolution exactly as it should be without the need to use virtual space which is off the physical screen.  What is going on with this and how may I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Last edited by davidm (2010-01-11 18:00:01)

#2 2010-01-02 07:08:33

chpln

Re: [Solved] 2 strange X11 related issues

Regarding #1, libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 is owned by the 'gtk2' package.  If you have a look at the optional dependencies of nvidia-utils, it is listed there.

As a rule, if you need to track down which package a file belongs to, you can use either of two methods:
1) If the file is already available on your system, use 'pacman -Qo <file>'
2) If the file is not already available, use 'pkgfile' which can found in the 'pkgtools' package

#3 2010-01-02 07:08:50

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums.

The first error is in fact from a missing gtk2 package (it's an optional dependency of nvidia-utils). Did you install the package gtk instead?

For the second, I'm not sure about. It almost seems like KDE is trying to set up virtual space.

*** Beaten by chpln ***

#4 2010-01-02 07:09:20

JuseBox

davidm wrote:

Hello I am new to Arch but I have been reading the forum for a little while.  I have an install mostly done but ran in to a couple odd issues that I am hoping to get some assistance with:

#1 - running "nvidia-settings" yields:

[root@arch-desktop ~]# nvidia-settings
nvidia-settings: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm running KDE but I tried installing gtk with no luck.  What is going on here and what do I need to install, if anything?

#2 - an even odder issue.... I have my xorg.conf set up to use 1920x1080 resolution using the proprietary Nvidia driver.  It mostly works, However, it will load by default into 1920x1080 for the Virtual settings but the physical setting will be smaller resolution.  It stays like this until I open system settings and choose "Display".  Here's the strange thing.  I don't need to click anything or change anything.  Nor do I have to exit it or save or any such thing, the mere act of opening "Display" sets my resolution exactly as it should be without the need to use virtual space which is off the physical screen.  What is going on with this and how may I fix it?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Hello there have you tried to locate that file to see if its actually there? Maybe its not even there to load...   What happens when you do:

sudo nvidia-xconfig

The issue with number one is the nvidia-utils package.  You did install that right?

Last edited by JuseBox (2010-01-02 07:25:49)

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#5 2010-01-02 16:39:03

davidm

Thanks everyone.  Issue #1 is solved.  I merely needed to install gtk2.  I don't know how I missed that one. I guess I plead being tired. hmm

Issue #2 is still there.  I suspect it is loading a virtual resolution as well at first.  But for some reason the mere act of opening "Display" from "System Settings" causes it to fix itself.  Display also shows the correct "1920x1080" resolution.  I'm not understanding how just opening "Display" causes it to fix itself as opposed to changing anything or saving it.  Something odd must be going on.

Here's more info I guess:

xorg.conf

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Sun Nov  8 18:24:28 PST 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"    
EndSection                                   

Section "Files"
EndSection     

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0" 
    Driver         "mouse"  
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"  
EndSection                               

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "ACER H233H"
    VendorName     "Acer"
    ModelName      "H233H"
    HorizSync       54.2 - 83.8
    VertRefresh     49 - 75
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "ACER H233H"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1920x1080" "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

xorg.0.log:

This is a pre-release version of the X server from The X.Org Foundation.
It is not supported in any way.                                         
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.      
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.            
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the          
latest version in the X.Org Foundation git repository.                  
See http://wiki.x.org/wiki/GitPage for git access instructions.         

X.Org X Server 1.7.3.902 (1.7.4 RC 2)
Release Date: 2009-12-26             
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0    
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-ARCH i686 
Current Operating System: Linux arch-desktop 2.6.32-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Dec 26 08:26:17 UTC 2009 i686
Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/0335ee8e-681b-478c-b053-dd0dee2246cb ro                      
Build Date: 26 December 2009  11:37:45AM                                                                 

Current version of pixman: 0.16.4                                                                        
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org                                               
        to make sure that you have the latest version.                                                   
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,                                       
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,                                         
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.                                    
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan  2 11:44:48 2010                                     
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"                                                             
(==) ServerLayout "Layout0"                                                                              
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)                                                                            
(**) |   |-->Monitor "ACER H233H"                                                                        
(**) |   |-->Device "Device0"                                                                            
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"                                                                        
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"                                                                           
(==) Automatically adding devices                                                                        
(==) Automatically enabling devices                                                                      
(WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/Type1" does not exist.                                              
        Entry deleted from font path.                                                                    
(==) FontPath set to:                                                                                    
        /usr/share/fonts/misc,                                                                           
        /usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,                                                                
        /usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,                                                                 
        /usr/share/fonts/TTF                                                                             
(==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"                                                           
(**) Extension "Composite" is enabled                                                                    
(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.          
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0                                                                                 
(WW) Disabling Mouse0                                                                                    
(II) Loader magic: 0x81e4c60                                                                             
(II) Module ABI versions:                                                                                
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4                                                                      
        X.Org Video Driver: 6.0                                                                          
        X.Org XInput driver : 7.0                                                                        
        X.Org Server Extension : 2.0                                                                     
(++) using VT number 7                                                                                   

(--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0185:3842:a093 nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 4000] rev 193, Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xf0000000/134217728, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)                                                                                            
(II) LoadModule: "extmod"                                                                                                                                            
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so                                                                                                           
(II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                        
        compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 1.0.0                                                                                                               
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension                                                                                                                         
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 2.0                                                                                                               
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER                                                                                                                              
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension                                                                                                                      
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA                                                                                                                                   
(II) Loading extension DPMS                                                                                                                                          
(II) Loading extension XVideo                                                                                                                                        
(II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation                                                                                                                     
(II) Loading extension X-Resource                                                                                                                                    
(II) LoadModule: "dbe"                                                                                                                                               
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so                                                                                                              
(II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                           
(II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER                                                                                                                                 
(II) LoadModule: "glx"                                                                                                                                               
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so                                                                                                              
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"                                                                                                                         
        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0                                                                                                                   
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  96.43.14  Sun Nov  8 18:24:17 PST 2009                                                                                                       
(II) Loading extension GLX                                                                                                                                           
(II) LoadModule: "dri"                                                                                                                                               
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so                                                                                                              
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                           
(II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI                                                                                                                                   
(II) LoadModule: "dri2"                                                                                                                                              
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so                                                                                                             
(II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                          
        compiled for 1.7.3.902, module version = 1.1.0                                                                                                               
(II) Loading extension DRI2                                                                                                                                          
(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"                                                                                                                                            
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so                                                                                                             
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"                                                                                                                      
        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0                                                                                                                   
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver                                                                                                                             
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  96.43.14  Sun Nov  8 18:12:51 PST 2009                                                                                                
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs                                                                                                             
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0                                                                                                                               
(II) Loading sub module "fb"                                                                                                                                         
(II) LoadModule: "fb"                                                                                                                                                
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so                                                                                                                          
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                            
        ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4                                                                                                               
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"                                                                                                                                     
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"                                                                                                                                            
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in                                                                                                                                
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32                                                                                                                    
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888                                                                                                                                       
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor                                                                                                                          
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)                                                                                                               
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"                                                                                                                    
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration                                                                                                                         
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is                                                                                        
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.                                                                                                                                         
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce4 MX 4000 at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)                                                                                                     
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 65536 kBytes                                                                                                                                 
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 04.18.20.39.02                                                                                                                            
(II) NVIDIA(0): Detected AGP rate: 8X                                                                                                                                
(--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU                                                                                                     
(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce4 MX 4000 at PCI:1:0:0:                                                                                        
(--) NVIDIA(0):     Acer H233H (CRT-0)                                                                                                                               
(--) NVIDIA(0): Acer H233H (CRT-0): 350.0 MHz maximum pixel clock                                                                                                    
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: CRT-0                                                                                                                       
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:                                                                                                                                     
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1920x1080"                                                                                                                                      
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1600x1200"                                                                                                                                      
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1280x1024"                                                                                                                                      
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "1024x768"                                                                                                                                       
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "800x600"                                                                                                                                        
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "640x480"                                                                                                                                        
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1200                                                                                                     
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (95, 94); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config                                                                                             
(--) NVIDIA(0):     option                                                                                                                                           
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp                                                                                                                                
(II) NVIDIA(0): Initialized GART.                                                                                                                                    
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1920x1080"                                                                                                                             
(II) Loading extension NV-GLX                                                                                                                                        
(II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA 3D Acceleration Architecture Initialized                                                                                                      
(II) NVIDIA(0): Using the NVIDIA 2D acceleration architecture                                                                                                        
(==) NVIDIA(0): Backing store disabled                                                                                                                               
(==) NVIDIA(0): Silken mouse enabled                                                                                                                                 
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPMS enabled                                                                                                                                         
(II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL                                                                                                                                    
(==) RandR enabled                                                                                                                                                   
(II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension                                                                                                         
(II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE                                                                                                                           
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM                                                                                                                         
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension                                                                                                                 
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST                                                                                                                           
(II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS                                                                                                                    
(II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC                                                                                                                            
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD                                                                                                                       
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC                                                                                                                         
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY                                                                                                                        
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA                                                                                                                        
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES                                                                                                                          
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER                                                                                                                          
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR                                                                                                                           
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE                                                                                                                       
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE                                                                                                                          
(II) Initializing extension GLX                                                                                                                                      
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation                                                                                                
(II) LoadModule: "evdev"                                                                                                                                             
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so                                                                                                                
(II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                                         
        compiled for 1.7.3, module version = 2.3.2                                                                                                                   
        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver                                                                                                                            
        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 7.0                                                                                                                  
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: always reports core events                                                                                                    
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Device: "/dev/input/event0"                                                                                                   
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found 3 mouse buttons                                                                                                         
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found relative axes                                                                                                           
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Found x and y relative axes                                                                                                   
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: Configuring as mouse                                                                                                          
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5                                                                                                 
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200                                                      
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Macintosh mouse button emulation" (type: MOUSE)                                                                           
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1                                                                                         
(**) Macintosh mouse button emulation: (accel) acceleration profile 0                                                                                                
(II) Macintosh mouse button emulation: initialized for relative axes.                                                                                                
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Dell Dell USB Mouse
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Found 3 mouse buttons
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Found relative axes
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: Configuring as mouse
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Dell Dell USB Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Dell Dell USB Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(II) Dell Dell USB Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Darfon USB Combo Keyboard
(**) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
(II) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Found keys
(II) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Darfon USB Combo Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Darfon USB Combo Keyboard
(**) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: always reports core events
(**) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
(II) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Found keys
(II) Darfon USB Combo Keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Darfon USB Combo Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event5"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(**) Power Button: always reports core events
(**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event6"
(II) Power Button: Found keys
(II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (2, 6, 0x8000, 0x00006580, 0x0000ac08)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT (0, 6, 0x8000, 0x0000ac08, 0x0000ac08)
[root@arch-desktop log]#

Last edited by davidm (2010-01-02 16:48:17)

#6 2010-01-02 17:40:06

Vegita

people please forget using sudo for absolutely everything (the ubuntu forum way), it makes the attributes and the ownership a full catastrophe, if you don't handle it with care. For gui programs: gnomesu or kdesu, for CLI ones: su -c "command". Using the bash login (su) is always a better way, it's a full login, not just partial, I don't even have sudo installed. And very professional manuals say "sudo make install", anyway I prefer su -c make install but basically that's not the problematic sudo command.
Which is bad to use for example: "sudo krusader" <--- that one to forget

And yes, the gtk2 package will be the solution and you can rewrite xorg.conf with kdesu nvidia-settings

#7 2010-01-02 18:16:43

davidm

Vegita wrote:

you can rewrite xorg.conf with kdesu nvidia-settings

Thanks.  Yes, after I was able to get nvidia-settings working that was the first thing I tried and it did generate a new xorg.conf unfortunately it did the same thing.  I suppose the problem isn't critical because it is so easy to work around, I'm more curious as to why it is happening.  I guess I'll need to read around more and hack with it as I get time.

#8 2010-01-11 17:59:37

davidm

For the record setting "Virtual 1920 1080" in xorg.conf solved issue #2.

It appears that the virtual screen size was being set to 1920 x 1200 and the physical screen size maxed at 1920 x 1080. This would lead to a larger virtual screen size which needed to be scrolled.  When hitting System Settings -> Display it appears that it was then realizing the issue and autocorrecting itself (there must be some sort of function for this within the code?).  Setting the proper virtual screen size seems to have resolved the need to go into Display.

Marked solved.

Last edited by davidm (2010-01-11 18:03:21)

Board footer