You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-03 05:21:20

prairie_dad

Gnome trouble as user, not root...is this a group membership issue?

Hi all,

just installed Arch from scratch, following all the beginner's guide steps...installed Gnome...rebooted (with gdm in daemons of rc.conf) and when I went to log in as myself (i.e. typed my password and hit return) the whole thing froze (this is in VirtualBox, by the way, also latest 3.1.2 version.) 

I rebooted, and tried logging in as "other..." typed in root, entered pwd...and it worked fine (though I know I shouldn't be root in a GUI, this was a test.)

Guest Additions are installed, and appear to work okay, I have no xorg.conf, I let it autoconfigure...there are lots of groups I am not a member of...gdm, for instance...but many more, too.  Is that the issue, or is there something else going on?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

dave

#2 2010-01-03 05:36:35

JuseBox

Re: Gnome trouble as user, not root...is this a group membership issue?

prairie_dad wrote:

Hi all,

just installed Arch from scratch, following all the beginner's guide steps...installed Gnome...rebooted (with gdm in daemons of rc.conf) and when I went to log in as myself (i.e. typed my password and hit return) the whole thing froze (this is in VirtualBox, by the way, also latest 3.1.2 version.) 

I rebooted, and tried logging in as "other..." typed in root, entered pwd...and it worked fine (though I know I shouldn't be root in a GUI, this was a test.)

Guest Additions are installed, and appear to work okay, I have no xorg.conf, I let it autoconfigure...there are lots of groups I am not a member of...gdm, for instance...but many more, too.  Is that the issue, or is there something else going on?

Any thoughts would be helpful.

dave

Did you create a local .xinitrc config so that the x knows what its going to open up as your session manager?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … 2F.xinitrc

Edit: Posted Link

Last edited by JuseBox (2010-01-03 05:38:25)

Linux ArchLinux 3.2.8-1-ARCH
#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
8192MB DDR3 1300MHz | Asus m5a97 | GeForce GTX 550 Ti | 120 GB SSD

#3 2010-01-03 13:25:12

prairie_dad

Hi, and thanks for answering...but it is more subtle than that!  Yes, my .xinitrc says exec gnome-session, and nothing more...just as it should.

here's more.  I have gdm in my daemons list in rc.conf...and if I start up I go, correctly, to the log-in screen of gdm.  My username is there, and I can type in my password...then it hangs.

If I log in, get to the gdm log-in screen and hit other...then log in as root, with _that_ password...no sweat. 

Here's what is so odd...when I am done with my session as root, and log out of Gnome, with System>Log out David>Switch User, I am again presented with the gdm log-in screen...and if I pick David now, it works fine!

Still I shouldn't have to go through that rigmarole each time...why is this happening?

Also...I would rather not use gdm at all...I like to invoke startx from console...but if I do that, and skip gdm altogether...I don't have proper permissions once I am in Gnome...I can't mount CDs, for instance, even though I am in the group optical...any ideas about that?

thanks,

D

#4 2010-01-03 13:44:12

loafer

prairie_dad wrote:

Also...I would rather not use gdm at all...I like to invoke startx from console...but if I do that, and skip gdm altogether...I don't have proper permissions once I am in Gnome...I can't mount CDs, for instance, even though I am in the group optical...any ideas about that?
D

Try "exec ck-launch-session gnome-session" in your .xinitrc

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Board footer