You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 01:16:57

ShadowKyogre
Website

Connection errors with pidgin AND pacman?! [SOLVED]

It all started out when my modem suddenly fizzled. The modem was fixed just before I typed this up...and...pidgin kept giving me "Connection error from Notification server:
Connection timed out." Naturally I thought that the internet might be screwy, so I restarted the internet connection, then started up pidgin again. Nope, that didn't work. Then I tried to reinstall pidgin...which lead me to discover that pacman's not getting it either, even though I'm able to type this out. Password prompts from the command line have been removed for compactness.

[me@myhost ~]$ sudo /etc/rc.d/network restart
:: Stopping Network                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           [DONE] 
:: Starting Network                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           [DONE] 
[me@myhost ~]$ yaourt -R pidgin                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
checking dependencies...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)                                                                                                                                                                                                                
:: guifications: requires pidgin
[me@myhost ~]$ yaourt -S pidgin
warning: pidgin-2.6.4-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
Targets (1): pidgin-2.6.4-1
Total Download Size:    1.25 MB
Total Installed Size:   4.60 MB
Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages from extra...
error: failed retrieving file 'pidgin-2.6.4-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz' from locke.suu.edu : Connection timed out
warning: failed to retrieve some files from extra
error: failed to commit transaction (Connection timed out)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
[me@myhost ~]$ ping google.com
PING google.com (72.14.213.103) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from google.com (72.14.213.103): icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=60.1 ms
64 bytes from google.com (72.14.213.103): icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=59.9 ms
64 bytes from google.com (72.14.213.103): icmp_seq=3 ttl=54 time=60.1 ms
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2002ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 59.961/60.104/60.185/0.101 ms
[me@myhost ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from locke.suu.edu : Connection timed out
error: failed to update extra (Connection timed out)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from locke.suu.edu : Connection timed out
error: failed to update community (Connection timed out)

I'm thinking I have to turn my computer back off and on to get these two to work again...has anyone experienced something like this before and how was it usually fixed?

[EDIT] Tried turning off and back on...didn't work. (edit) Do I need to post the model and settings of the modem that might be interfering with this?

Apparently there was a firewall on the modem that wasn't there before o_o. The firewall's gone and it's working fine now.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2010-01-04 02:39:58)

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#2 2010-01-04 01:58:04

tavianator
Website

Re: Connection errors with pidgin AND pacman?! [SOLVED]

locke.suu.edu is an FTP mirror, right?  Maybe your connection has a problem with FTP, or non-HTTP things in general (which would explain the pidgin problem).  Try wget from an http site and an ftp site.

#3 2010-01-04 02:12:11

ShadowKyogre
Website

Re: Connection errors with pidgin AND pacman?! [SOLVED]

tavianator wrote:

locke.suu.edu is an FTP mirror, right?  Maybe your connection has a problem with FTP, or non-HTTP things in general (which would explain the pidgin problem).  Try wget from an http site and an ftp site.

[me@myhost ~]$ wget http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/s/h/rndm.gif?1
--2010-01-03 17:54:27--  http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/s/h/rndm.gif?1
Resolving a.deviantart.net... 67.148.47.32, 67.148.47.50
Connecting to a.deviantart.net|67.148.47.32|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 2929 (2.9K) [image/gif]
Saving to: "rndm.gif?1"

100%[===========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================>] 2,929       --.-K/s   in 0.01s

2010-01-03 17:54:32 (263 KB/s) - "rndm.gif?1" saved [2929/2929]

^So yeah, another replacement thing to reduce space. Point it that I was able to get something from an http site.

ftp://locke.suu.edu/linux/dist/archlinux/extra/os/i686/ <-- I can't even connect to that, but the core repo is fine.

Funny thing is that this was all working fine before the modem broke.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2010-01-04 02:14:11)

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

Board footer