You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 12:09:40

upsidaisium
Website

[SOLVED, i think?] keyboard problems after recent updates

this is a problem which i've just started to experience today: when i'm in X, sometimes keyboard input seems to randomly hang up for a few seconds. for example, i'll be typing something and then suddenly the characters stop appearing even if i keep typing. after two or three seconds the remaining characters that i had typed might appear, or they might not. it's really frustrating because it's so random. but i don't have any problems if i don't start X -- so i'm doing all of my work (that i can do) from the console for now..

has anybody else experienced this behaviour?

i looked in the pacman log and noticed that when i did a pacman -Syu on 27/12 these packages (among many others) were updated:
- xf86-input-evdev
- xf86-input-synaptics
- xorg-server
- xorg-xkb-utils

but those were updates, like i said, were on 27/12.. over a week ago. and i just started having problems today. yesterday i also did a system update, but i the only packages upgraded were alsa-lib and alsa-utils.

if anybody has any advice/suggestions for fixes, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by upsidaisium (2010-01-04 14:33:22)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#2 2010-01-04 12:55:12

rent0n
Website

Re: [SOLVED, i think?] keyboard problems after recent updates

I'm not totally sure this is the case, however...Have you got an Intel Graphics Card?
If yes, KMS has been enabled by default as of kernel 2.6.32. I had similar problems with it and disabling KMS solved my problems.
Check here: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=87872

If no, I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you! hmm

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#3 2010-01-04 13:00:17

upsidaisium
Website

ah, i do have intel graphics. so you might be on to the real problem! (here's hoping, at least). i'll try what you have done and see what happens.

edit: well, success so far! all i've done is add that little bit to the kernel line in my grub/menu.lst file. i check the other conf file but those problem-causing modules weren't listed anyways, so i figured i was okay on that front. will report back if the problems come back again smile

Last edited by upsidaisium (2010-01-04 14:36:02)

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#4 2010-01-04 17:49:40

rent0n
Website

upsidaisium wrote:

ah, i do have intel graphics. so you might be on to the real problem! (here's hoping, at least). i'll try what you have done and see what happens.

edit: well, success so far! all i've done is add that little bit to the kernel line in my grub/menu.lst file. i check the other conf file but those problem-causing modules weren't listed anyways, so i figured i was okay on that front. will report back if the problems come back again smile

I'm happy you solved. smile
The funniest thing is that I was having problems in consoles and not in X! tongue

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

Board footer