You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-04 19:26:00

TaylanUB

No locales

Perhaps this is a silly question but:
Is there any kind of "risk" in installing packages (or something else "system related") while having no locales generated?

I'm always using the "install from existing Linux" way to install Arch, basically using pacman.static with the -r option to install the base packages onto a newly formatted drive, and i know that Pacman keeps giving warnings during package installation until you run locale-gen, but is there any chance of permanent damage, or is everything sure to turn %100 sane once you run locale-gen, whenever you run it?

Regards

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#2 2010-01-05 16:48:11

Nezmer
Website

Re: No locales

I can't give you an accurate answer but I'll share a brief experience with a locale-less system.

My VPS provider's Arch template didn't generate locales(I reported this. I don't know If they fixed it). My server ran just fine. In fact, I only noticed this when I installed iotop and It failed to start due to missing locales. The template gives you a ready base system to start with so your case is different and you should remember that unlike servers, Locales might be needed for desktops.

The real question is:
Why don't you want to generate locales?

Last edited by Nezmer (2010-01-05 16:49:18)

English is not my native language .

#3 2010-01-05 18:43:51

TaylanUB

Re: No locales

Thanks a lot for the reply.

It's not that i don't want to generate locales; when i run pacman.static to install the base packages onto a newly formatted ext2fs, it already starts to give warnings about locales, during the installation of some packages. Later i can generate locales.

Actually the system i currently use was built that way. (Generally there are no problems, except, Turkish characters are problematic on the virtual terminals and xterm, but that might be unrelated. I have yet to look into that issue.)

The question came into mind while i was working on a script that would automate installation for me: It would be convenient to let pacman just install all other packages too, after the base ones, but would some bigger applications like OpenOffice.org cause locale-related problems?..

I'll just go on and assume no risk for now; it's not like the PC will blow up on me.

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

Board footer