You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 01:40:13

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

[solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

I just restarted my machine (after the kernel update) to find that my mouse has reset to its old slow crawl.

Previously I had used the following solution "http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=86788" to make it work properly. My rc.local is still the same, yet it no longer seems to have any effect.. I cannot even put the commands into the console, as I get a "file/directory not found...".

Any help? This makes it quite difficult to use sad

Last edited by Atreides (2010-01-25 00:30:25)

Offline

#2 2010-01-05 02:22:27

frigaut
Member
From: Canberra, Australia
Registered: 2009-05-10
Posts: 215
Website

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

You should give more details:
* is it really a mouse or the thinkpad red thingy?
* if it's a mouse, why doesn't the gnome mouse preference work? (are you using gnome?)
* have you upgraded to 2.6.32 lately? does /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/ still exist? May be it's been renamed (probably)?


Samsung NP900X3F / MBP retina mid-2012.  Archer since 03/2009 / Arch donor

Offline

#3 2010-01-05 02:31:49

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

frigaut wrote:

You should give more details:
* is it really a mouse or the thinkpad red thingy?
* if it's a mouse, why doesn't the gnome mouse preference work? (are you using gnome?)
* have you upgraded to 2.6.32 lately? does /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/ still exist? May be it's been renamed (probably)?

Sorry, its actually just the red thinkpad thing. I'm using xfce, though I think the mouse preferences in there only work for actual mice.

I did upgrade recently, although /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/ does seem to still exist.

Offline

#4 2010-01-05 04:21:32

MattSmith
Member
From: Wellington, New Zealand
Registered: 2009-02-08
Posts: 108

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

hmm, I think this may have something to do with your xorg.conf, as it's the x server that really tracks the mouse. So go into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try adding this to the proper device.

Option         "MinSpeed" "0.10"  # speed factor for low movement   
Option         "MaxSpeed" "0.80"  # maximum speed factor for fast movement
Option         "AccelFactor" "0.0040"    # acceleration factor for normal movements

the device will be listed in the identifier section. Note, I did get this from my synaptics touch pad, but it might be worth a try to "override" what may be causing the problem.


A thing of beauty is a joy forever
                         
                               -John Keats

Offline

#5 2010-01-08 02:41:58

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

MattSmith wrote:

hmm, I think this may have something to do with your xorg.conf, as it's the x server that really tracks the mouse. So go into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and try adding this to the proper device.

Option         "MinSpeed" "0.10"  # speed factor for low movement   
Option         "MaxSpeed" "0.80"  # maximum speed factor for fast movement
Option         "AccelFactor" "0.0040"    # acceleration factor for normal movements

the device will be listed in the identifier section. Note, I did get this from my synaptics touch pad, but it might be worth a try to "override" what may be causing the problem.

Hmm, I tried that and now my xorg.conf looks like such.

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
        Option      "MinSpeed" "2.00"  # speed factor for low movement
        Option      "MaxSpeed" "3.00"  # maximum speed factor for fast movement
        Option      "AccelFactor" "0.40"    # acceleration factor for normal

I put in 'big' numbers because it didn't seem to be doing what I wanted it too. It still doesn't seem to be moving how I want it to (nor am I even 100% sure it did anything).

I like my mouse (or the red trackpoint in this case) really sensitive. Super, fly across the screen sensitive. I am unsure why the latest kernel update would have nullified the earlier fix, but I am direly in search of a fix.

Offline

#6 2010-01-08 06:21:34

MattSmith
Member
From: Wellington, New Zealand
Registered: 2009-02-08
Posts: 108

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

Yea, I didn't think it would do much of anything, considering those are options for the synoptics touch driver. I'll do a little poking around and see if I can find anything useful for you.


A thing of beauty is a joy forever
                         
                               -John Keats

Offline

#7 2010-01-08 06:48:06

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,406

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

Mouse handling is a confusing mess. See xorg wiki. I use:

xinput set-ptr-feedback Mouse 0 84 100

That's with Identifier "Mouse" in xorg.conf

Offline

#8 2010-01-10 02:43:36

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

brebs wrote:

Mouse handling is a confusing mess. See xorg wiki. I use:

xinput set-ptr-feedback Mouse 0 84 100

That's with Identifier "Mouse" in xorg.conf

Probably a stupid question, but how exactly does that go in xorg.conf? The way I had put it in crashes my X server.

And thanks Matt, let me know if you find anything.

Offline

#9 2010-01-10 03:12:53

anonymous_user
Member
Registered: 2009-08-28
Posts: 3,058

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

That xinput line doesn't go in xorg.conf, you run it in a terminal.

Offline

#10 2010-01-10 03:26:57

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

anonymous_user wrote:

That xinput line doesn't go in xorg.conf, you run it in a terminal.

Oh duh, forgot to have my coffee this morning. I'll try this once I get back home.

Assuming it does would, would that effect be permanent? Or would I have to put it in some conf somewhere?

Offline

#11 2010-01-10 04:28:36

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,406

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

You need to put it as a command to be executed on user login. The precise method varies by desktop environment and distro, just to confuse us. In XFCE, use "Application Autostart" on the Settings - Session & Startup menu.

It also needs to be rerun when some games exit, because the games reset the mouse speed. Surprisingly, this didn't happen with "mouse" rather than "evdev" as the mouse driver.

Sometimes it seems like Linux has stupidity designed into it sad

Offline

#12 2010-01-10 06:48:12

MattSmith
Member
From: Wellington, New Zealand
Registered: 2009-02-08
Posts: 108

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

brebs wrote:

Sometimes it seems like Linux has stupidity designed into it sad

I don't think it's that linux has stupidy built into. I think that it's more like developers have different ideas of how they want things to work. It would be highly advantages that a game or an application could control the sensitivity, I'm sure some games aren't designed to set it back.

instead of running it each time before log in you should be able to make a simple script that runs the command. I'm am not good at scripting by any means, but I'm working on it. Something like making making an alias to "xinit" or "startx" in ur bash rc to point to your script which has the command and then "xinit" after it.

I did some searching for some alternatives:

http://linux.die.net/man/4/mouse-driver

things that look worth while:

Option SampleRate integer
    Sets the number of motion/button events the mouse sends per second. Setting this is only supported for some mice, including some Logitech mice and some PS/2 mice on some platforms. Default: whatever the mouse is already set to.
Option Resolution integer
    Sets the resolution of the device in counts per inch. Setting this is only supported for some mice, including some PS/2 mice on some platforms. Default: whatever the mouse is already set to.

possibly baud rate, but I think that will just make the mouse more smooth.


A thing of beauty is a joy forever
                         
                               -John Keats

Offline

#13 2010-01-13 02:39:33

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

MattSmith wrote:
brebs wrote:

Sometimes it seems like Linux has stupidity designed into it sad

I don't think it's that linux has stupidy built into. I think that it's more like developers have different ideas of how they want things to work. It would be highly advantages that a game or an application could control the sensitivity, I'm sure some games aren't designed to set it back.

instead of running it each time before log in you should be able to make a simple script that runs the command. I'm am not good at scripting by any means, but I'm working on it. Something like making making an alias to "xinit" or "startx" in ur bash rc to point to your script which has the command and then "xinit" after it.

I did some searching for some alternatives:

http://linux.die.net/man/4/mouse-driver

things that look worth while:

Option SampleRate integer
    Sets the number of motion/button events the mouse sends per second. Setting this is only supported for some mice, including some Logitech mice and some PS/2 mice on some platforms. Default: whatever the mouse is already set to.
Option Resolution integer
    Sets the resolution of the device in counts per inch. Setting this is only supported for some mice, including some PS/2 mice on some platforms. Default: whatever the mouse is already set to.

possibly baud rate, but I think that will just make the mouse more smooth.

Thanks for all the info Matt, I'm going to give that a go if I can't figure out xinput. On that topic, whenever I try to enter "xinput set-ptr-feedback Mouse 0 84 100" into the terminal I get a "unable to find device Mouse".

Here is what my xorg.conf looks like (the input device sections at least):

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

No matter what I try I get a "device not found". Isnt the identifier "Mouse0" right there? Shouldn't that work? I'm quite confused. Is it because its not actually a mouse, but the thinkpad trackpoint?

Offline

#14 2010-01-13 03:15:40

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus
From: USA
Registered: 2006-11-27
Posts: 4,170

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

Try

xinput list

And substitute the device id number for Mouse.
So instead of

xinput set-ptr-feedback Mouse 0 84 100

You'd do

xinput set-ptr-feedback 9 0 84 100

or whatever id# your trackpoint happens to be.

xinput set-ptr-feedback 9 0 25 10

^Works for my Panasonic Toughbook touchpad.

Offline

#15 2010-01-13 04:51:03

MattSmith
Member
From: Wellington, New Zealand
Registered: 2009-02-08
Posts: 108

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

This may be totally wrong but if you put: xinput set-ptr-feedback Mouse 0 84 100

you aren't actually referring to the device, because the device is called Mouse0, not Mouse

what Misfit138 should work as well.


A thing of beauty is a joy forever
                         
                               -John Keats

Offline

#16 2010-01-14 02:26:49

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

Well, I tried what misfit suggested; it seemed to work (a little). Here is what I get when I input 'xinput list' and what I tried after.

[root@arch david]# xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Macintosh mouse button emulation            id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ PS/2 Generic Mouse                          id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                      id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                                id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                                   id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                                id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 2 0 84 100
unable to find device 2
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 4 0 84 100
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 4 100 100 100
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 7 100 100 100
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 8 100 100 100
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 4 800 800 800
[root@arch david]# xinput set-ptr-feedback 8 800 800 800
[root@arch david]#

I think it is a little faster.....? I may just be imagining it though (probably). Either way its still not going as fast as I would like it to. Is it possible I'm missing some sort of driver to recognize the specific Thinkpad device?

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_co … TrackPoint

Looking at this article it looks like the trackpoint is actually recognized as a specific device to X (or they just named it as such?), not as vague as the names I have. I can't quite make sense of this page though.... :\


Thanks for all the help, sorry this is taking so long. I had it perfect at one point, I don't understand why it would have suddenly stopped working.

Last edited by Atreides (2010-01-14 02:29:23)

Offline

#17 2010-01-25 00:30:00

Atreides
Member
Registered: 2009-11-24
Posts: 60

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

This isssue somehow magically fixed itself with the latest kernel update smile, thanks to all who tried to help. Mouse is going crazy fast now.

Now to figure out what is actually controlling mouse sensitivity.

Additionally, the middle thinkpad button is now magically working to scroll (something I had not been able to get to do before). Fantastic! big_smile

Last edited by Atreides (2010-01-25 00:33:00)

Offline

#18 2010-03-25 03:53:59

brebs
Member
Registered: 2007-04-03
Posts: 3,406

Re: [solved]Mouse sensitivity too low (again)

I'll elaborate on "Mouse". This is not a random name, and won't be something that you have (although xorg might have automatically set up something similar), unless YOU set it up - I specify it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with Option "Name":

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
    Option "AllowEmptyInput" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse"
    Driver      "evdev"
    Option      "CorePointer"

    #Option      "Device"    "/dev/input/event7"
    # Using udev rule instead
    Option      "Device"            "/dev/mouse-nano"

    Option      "Name"      "Mouse"
    Option      "Buttons"   "9"
    Option      "WHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "4 5"
    Option      "HWHEELRelativeAxisButtons" "7 6"
    Option      "AccelerationScheme"    "lightweight"
    Option      "AccelerationProfileAveraging"  "False"
    Option      "Softening"                     "False"
    Option      "Protocol"          "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option      "Resolution"        "800"
    Option      "SampleRate"        "500"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option      "Sensitivity"           "0.01"
    Option      "Emulate3Buttons"   "False"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    ... blah blah
    InputDevice "Mouse"
EndSection

And my udev rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/91-local.rules

# Logitech wireless mouse
# Has 2 devices: mouse, and wireless USB - impossible to tell apart!
# udevadm info -a --name /dev/input/event7 | less
# This is too simplistic, because there are 2 devices:
# KERNELS=="input*", ATTRS{name}=="Logitech USB Receiver", SYMLINK+="mouse-nano"
# So tie it to the physical USB socket:
NAME=="input/event*", SUBSYSTEMS=="input", ATTRS{phys}=="usb-0000:00:1d.1-1/input0", SYMLINK+="mouse-nano"

A bit of evidence from xinput:

$ xinput --list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Mouse                                       id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Keyboard                                    id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]

Edit: Hopefully clarified that users might not have to create/edit their xorg.conf, if xinput --list shows something sensible already.
Edit2: Switched to udev rule, from using /dev/input/event7

Last edited by brebs (2010-04-03 03:41:27)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB