You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-05 14:57:30

WiLLiE

Need help with laptop, lid not detected as closed

I'm having problem with the lid on this laptop, a HP dv4000, and always has as far as I can remember.

I get:

cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state
state:      open

even if I execute that command after I've closed the lid.

Where do I begin to try to solve this problem?
My hopes went up when I read that kernel 2.6.32 should include fixes for this particular chipset (i915) regarding the lid, but I still have this problem.

#2 2010-01-06 05:36:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Need help with laptop, lid not detected as closed

Well, I took a look at the proc entry on this HP DV4-1227, and it works just fine (I did have to ssh in to check it with the lid closed).  Plus (when I enable it) the system goes to sleep when the lid is closed.

The existence of the /proc nodes tells me that your ACPI is running and knows about the lid switch.

How about the obvious:  Does it work when using an operating system from the American Pacific Northwest?  Perhaps the real problem is a bad micro-switch, blocked optical detector, or a loose connector.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-01-06 06:19:10

muunleit

I get the "the state open" too, if I do the cat /proc/... like you, but you should try acpi-listen.
It outputs you the events that are recognized by acpi.

Last edited by muunleit (2010-01-06 06:20:04)

"The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven" -- John Milton

#4 2010-01-06 17:31:03

WiLLiE

Thanks for your replies.

I investigated some more, and noticed the following:
Nothing happens regarding the lid until I manually put it to sleep.

When it's done, I close the lid, and then open the lid. It wakes up, and I can see the loginscreen, but after that it goes to sleep again.
I open the lid ones more, and I can log in.

Then I can close the lid, and it goes to sleep. But when I open the lid, the screen is black (off) and I'm stuck.
I read somewhere that there are a few with that exact same problem, don't know if thats related to kernel 2.6.32?

I tried the acpi_listen command, and after first manually putting it to sleep and waking up, it reacted to lid open/close.

So the problem now is:
1. How to get rid of the first step of manually putting it to sleep before it works?
2. Fix the screen problem, not turning on

#5 2010-01-06 21:40:09

gogi-goji
Website

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I had some problems with my lid too (A Samsung NC10).

For me, my lid wouldn't be detected as closed for several seconds after actually closing the lid.  I thought it was broken for the longest time.  In the end, I had to use this in acpi's handler.sh file to suspend when I closed the lid:

button/lid)
        if [[ `cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID0/state | awk '{print $2}'` = "closed" ]]
        then
            pm-suspend
        fi
        #echo "LID switched!">/dev/tty5
        ;;

I'm not certain how this would work, but try using

acpi_listen

, and test out your different power switches to see if they are picked up by this, and then try closing your lid for, like, 10 seconds to see if that action is picked up.

My (sporadically updated) blog
My miscellaneous dotfiles

Board footer